nikki_bridge.jpg

peaceful_solitude_b.jpg

rays_of_light.jpg

yellow.jpg

fairplay_hartsel.jpg

backyard.jpg

road_to_power.jpg

across_lake_springfield.jpg

The b&w pics are really nice! Some of the color in the color pics take some getting used to for me.

"Hazelwest's bridge" really stands out for me. Seems like she is ready to photograph something. I love the tracks leading to infinity. Extra credit for getting a camera in the shot.

Gorgeous series of photos.

Love the "Road to Power" photo.

For the most part on the b/w's, they were all shot in full color on my Digital Rebel (yes, with a polarizer). In Photoshop, I adjusted the color levels in the channel mixer using the monochrome setting, which allows for an amazing amount of versatility that we only WISH we could have using bw film. ;-)

Love the photos, my favorite is Across Lake Springfield. You've done some excellent conversions here.

Very nice shots. Did you use any filters for the second and fourth ones? I like the tones i n the sky for the first one, but not in the foreground.

Well, the 4th one (Rays Of Light) wasn't originally that color. I burned an orange layer into it to give it the feel as if I had shot it with a filter.

The second one, however (Remember), was shot with a graded tobacco filter. It's interesting that you mentioned that you weren't as satisfied with the foreground on that one because I added a bit of a burnt orange color to the foreground. It was very green as it was in real life originally. ;-)

The reason I asked, the foreground seems a bit dark to me. If the second had a bit more light then it would be just stunning. I thought it was a tobacco fitler but just hate throwing guesses out there.

The fourth one has the opposite problem, for me atleast. Wish there was more distinguishable blades in there. -Peaceful Solitude- is a very nice match for a title.

Oooh, I thought you were talking about the one underneath it...I need to relearn how to count apparently. ;-)

As far as Peaceful Solitude goes, I was just half-assing that one. I wasn't even meaning for it to look as good as it did until I pulled it up on the monitor. Of course, in the middle of a sunny day like that, it's tough to tell what the pic looks like on that little screen. Personally, even though I love the effects I pulled off on the b/w images, I can't really do any big prints of them because there's so much of a quality loss when converting to b/w like I did. Hence why I'm trying to match these effects in-camera with my Minolta X-700 film camera.

Kent Frost said:
Oooh, I thought you were talking about the one underneath it...I need to relearn how to count apparently. ;-)

As far as Peaceful Solitude goes, I was just half-assing that one. I wasn't even meaning for it to look as good as it did until I pulled it up on the monitor. Of course, in the middle of a sunny day like that, it's tough to tell what the pic looks like on that little screen. Personally, even though I love the effects I pulled off on the b/w images, I can't really do any big prints of them because there's so much of a quality loss when converting to b/w like I did. Hence why I'm trying to match these effects in-camera with my Minolta X-700 film camera.

How do you print them? I have sold a few I have converted from color to B/W and been very happy with the results. Course it does take some time to capture that essense you what the photo to have. Blah nevermind, just read how you did it.

I agrue with you about the get the image how you want it before releasing the shutter. Makes things a whole lot simpler that way.

No need to argue, I completely agree with you. The day I shot the image Peaceful Solitude, I was mainly out to teach my girlfriend the basics, so I wasn't expecting to go home with any real useable images. It was just a happy accident.

Most reactions

Back