Shackle and Chain

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took the Nikon and 50 for a walk this morning and grabbed this shot of the anchor chain from the USS Maine.
I'd really like to hear what you think of it.

$Shackle and Chain.jpg

Maybe cropped a bit tight, but I like what you did with it.

Cool shot, I like all the texture. Looks like it needs a little more 'black' black, I might play around with tweaking the contrast a little.

I like it a lot, especially the texture of the shack/chain. Just wondering if darkening the background might make the subject stand out better?

I agree about the tight crop, but like it just fine otherwise.

I think I'd like photo of the entre boat better.

Thanks everyone. I'll share a couple thoughts on my processing. I'm in no way claiming to be right. I'm just explaining my thought process because all your points came into play as I worked with the photo

Tight crop?: I purposely wanted to fill the entire frame with only the texture of the iron. I didn't want to give up any real estate with empty concrete.

Pure blacks? I have pure blacks in the deepest crevices of the chain. I'm not sure there are other areas that should have no texture of pure black.

Darken the background?: I actually thought the same thing and played with that idea but didn't like the results. The chain is on a broken concrete base. Darkening made it look too unnatural.

Thanks again everyone for taking a look

Weekend Bump.

I like it. I would probably have cropped in a little more myself (subjective view). I like the abstract.

I like it. I would probably have cropped in a little more myself (subjective view). I like the abstract.

Thanks, Just curious, how would you have cropped it? Others thought it was already too tight.
I wanted to leave the link on each corner while filling the frame with the iron texture but the, too tight, not tight enough, critique has me wondering if I cropped at a awkward place.

The chain needs to stand out from the background 10x more than it does. It's a great photo in detail and texture, but the viewer never gets to see that detail if he just walks past your photo or never clicks on the thumbnail or whatever, due to it just being a gray box from a distance.

The chain needs to stand out from the background 10x more than it does. It's a great photo in detail and texture, but the viewer never gets to see that detail if he just walks past your photo or never clicks on the thumbnail or whatever, due to it just being a gray box from a distance.

Thanks for the input. You're the second person that mentioned the background. I may have to play with that a little more. While originally processing it, I did a dark back ground attempt, but I didn't like it at all. I'm stuck on the "as seen" thing, and it made the background look more like coal then contrete. It also made the dark parts of the iron blend in with the background instead of the lighter elements. Maybe somewhere in between :confused:. I definitely need to look at it further. Thanks again!

Look at Lightroom's stock "orange filter" preset. I pulled it into LR and went through the filter pre-sets, and thought the orange filter helped differentiate the chain by significantly brightening the soft highlights on the chain links, and since the concrete gas ZERO highlights, it really made the links stand out better, by increasing highlight sheen, thus revealing the SHAPE of the links.

Look at Lightroom's stock "orange filter" preset. I pulled it into LR and went through the filter pre-sets, and thought the orange filter helped differentiate the chain by significantly brightening the soft highlights on the chain links, and since the concrete gas ZERO highlights, it really made the links stand out better, by increasing highlight sheen, thus revealing the SHAPE of the links.

Thanks Derrel, I'll have to give it a try when I get home tonight. I have LR but never played with it much

Most reactions

Back