Shadow recovery with the D800.. Incredible!

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just posted this is another thread.. but I thought this matter was entitled to a thread by itself!

I just saw this post on Flickr by the fantastic photographer that is Philip Klinger. He has lifted the shadows by 100 per cent in Lightroom and still no banding/patterns to be seen. The noise visible could easily be removed!

Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Damnnnnnn. Good stuff

Everything I see about this camera is off the charts, good job Nikon!

Fred Miranda himself, the man behind the Fred Miranda dot com website, recently field-tested the Nikon D800 against the Canon 5D III, specifically in shadow recovery. Miranda was exceedingly impressed!

Part II - Controlled tests

As Fred Miranda wrote: "It's no secret that the Canon 5D Mark II does not have the cleanest shadows even at base ISO 100. It's usually unnoticeable in good light if we don't start pushing it in post. However, even perfectly exposed shots in high contrast lighting will show, color and luma noise in the shadows when pushed one or two stops in software. To make matters worse, you might even find some banding or visible horizontal and vertical line patterns. At this point, I was wondering how the 5D Mark III and D800 would deal with noise at base ISO. Canon shooters brace yourselves because I don't have good news."

he also used the SAME EXACT LENS on both cameras! "For all tests, I used the same exposure for both cameras under the same light conditions with the same Zeiss lens. I wanted to make sure that I captured RAW images in exactly the same settings. Afterwards, I used Lightroom 4.1 (with the latest Adobe profile) and kept color noise reduction and sharpness at 25 percent which are essentially the default values.[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Let's examine these 2 areas for shadow detail recovery and compare how much each camera is able to retrieve detail under high contrast lighting."

"
[/FONT]Although the Canon 5D Mark III deals with banding slightly better than the previous version, surprisingly I could still see a substantial amount of color noise.Obviously, the Nikon D800 is in a totally different league. Absent of color noise or any pattern, this image reveals Nikon's exceptional performance." "The Mark III image shows a huge chunk of color noise. Vertical patterns are also visible."

"There is no question that the D800 does not disappoint in signal to noise ratio (SNR) at low ISO and has higher dynamic range. I'm still shocked by the differences."

"I
n regards to the Nikon D800 handing of noise in the shadow areas, I have to say it's nothing short of amazing! Kudos to Sony and Nikon for the new sensor partnership. The Exmor sensor is exceptional and there is so much detail in the shadows. I can push the shadows more than 4 stops without any hint of color noise. WOW! Let's just say the D800 sensor is a breakthrough in sensor technology.".
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]"[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

And in yesterday's news....Michael Reichmann of The Luminous landscape JUST released his D800/D800e initial field report, located at Nikon D800 / E Initial Impressions

He wrote: "
Noise and Dynamic Range
[/h]I was shooting a resolution test chart on my GTI lightbox when the phone range and a colleague asked if I'd read Fred Miranda's D800 vs. 5D MKIII report, particularly the rather amazing example of opening up the shadows on the D800 at low ISO. Yes, I had, and had been quite amazed. Had I tried this myself. No, not yet, but now that you mention it I would in a few minutes." and so, he did. here is what Reichmann wrote after testing a MASSIVE LR shadow rescue shot...

"Above is a 100% crop of the opened up image, with a slight bit of luminance noise reduction added. Frankly, this is knock your socks off amazing. Holy dynamic range Batman, this is extracting a usable clean image from a shot that is underexposed by maybe 5 stops. Lightroom 4 and the D800/E are a marriage made in dynamic range heaven."

Very impressive, I'd even considering jumping ship to nikon if I could afford it at this time. Seems like canon are getting killed all of a sudden...

And in yesterday's news....Michael Reichmann of The Luminous landscape JUST released his D800/D800e initial field report, located at Nikon D800 / E Initial Impressions

He wrote: "
Noise and Dynamic Range
[/h]I was shooting a resolution test chart on my GTI lightbox when the phone range and a colleague asked if I'd read Fred Miranda's D800 vs. 5D MKIII report, particularly the rather amazing example of opening up the shadows on the D800 at low ISO. Yes, I had, and had been quite amazed. Had I tried this myself. No, not yet, but now that you mention it I would in a few minutes." and so, he did. here is what Reichmann wrote after testing a MASSIVE LR shadow rescue shot...

"Above is a 100% crop of the opened up image, with a slight bit of luminance noise reduction added. Frankly, this is knock your socks off amazing. Holy dynamic range Batman, this is extracting a usable clean image from a shot that is underexposed by maybe 5 stops. Lightroom 4 and the D800/E are a marriage made in dynamic range heaven."

Cheers Derrel for this! Great review, interesting stuff mate.

now if I could only receive mine :(

It's all very well you crying poverty Trever, but it does not change the fact I am still very jealous of you for getting a D800. I will be waiting alot longer to get mine than you will be to get yours! So no VIOLIN playing for you! :lol:

Fred Miranda himself, the man behind the Fred Miranda dot com website, recently field-tested the Nikon D800 against the Canon 5D III, specifically in shadow recovery. Miranda was exceedingly impressed!

Part II - Controlled tests

As Fred Miranda wrote: "It's no secret that the Canon 5D Mark II does not have the cleanest shadows even at base ISO 100. It's usually unnoticeable in good light if we don't start pushing it in post. However, even perfectly exposed shots in high contrast lighting will show, color and luma noise in the shadows when pushed one or two stops in software. To make matters worse, you might even find some banding or visible horizontal and vertical line patterns. At this point, I was wondering how the 5D Mark III and D800 would deal with noise at base ISO. Canon shooters brace yourselves because I don't have good news."

he also used the SAME EXACT LENS on both cameras! "For all tests, I used the same exposure for both cameras under the same light conditions with the same Zeiss lens. I wanted to make sure that I captured RAW images in exactly the same settings. Afterwards, I used Lightroom 4.1 (with the latest Adobe profile) and kept color noise reduction and sharpness at 25 percent which are essentially the default values.Let's examine these 2 areas for shadow detail recovery and compare how much each camera is able to retrieve detail under high contrast lighting."

"
Although the Canon 5D Mark III deals with banding slightly better than the previous version, surprisingly I could still see a substantial amount of color noise.Obviously, the Nikon D800 is in a totally different league. Absent of color noise or any pattern, this image reveals Nikon's exceptional performance." "The Mark III image shows a huge chunk of color noise. Vertical patterns are also visible."

"There is no question that the D800 does not disappoint in signal to noise ratio (SNR) at low ISO and has higher dynamic range. I'm still shocked by the differences."

"I
n regards to the Nikon D800 handing of noise in the shadow areas, I have to say it's nothing short of amazing! Kudos to Sony and Nikon for the new sensor partnership. The Exmor sensor is exceptional and there is so much detail in the shadows. I can push the shadows more than 4 stops without any hint of color noise. WOW! Let's just say the D800 sensor is a breakthrough in sensor technology.".
"

I love the sensors in nikons and have to say i have shot with quite a few different systems, i have used canon 40d, 7d, and a 5d mark2 and on the nikon side ive shot with a d300, d700 and i now own a d800 and the Nikon sensor is the reason i have stayed with nikon as you mentioned the possibility of detail recovery is fantastic in nikon.
I was at a love hate situation when trying to find my perfect camera as for my hands, canon just fits my hands so well and feel so comfortable and i loved the lenses i owned for my canon system but was always unhappy with low light or underexposed images with canon always getting funny patchy color banding and weird patches of color in dark shadow areas. The d800 has been unbelievable as to the files and what one can do with them. I am still not happy with nikon ergonomics but i will live with it just to have the better files out of the camera.
cheers

Great, I am REALLY close to jumping ship and I read this. Now I am closer. :)

Seriously, I can sell what I have and replace it with the exact same Nikon equivalent and not have to invest that much more. The only thing holding me back is the big canon thing that is supposedly on deck. But do I really need 49 or 75 megapixels? And won't Nikon up the ante and match it? They seem to be ahead of the game in sensor technology, seems to be the right side to be on. I am not brand loyal at all. Really disappointed in Canon right now.

I love mine too. It is just outstanding and incredibly versatile.

Incredible. And it's very true. The camera is incredible, and unbelievably versatile. I love mine.

Mark

Great, I am REALLY close to jumping ship and I read this. Now I am closer. :)

Seriously, I can sell what I have and replace it with the exact same Nikon equivalent and not have to invest that much more. The only thing holding me back is the big canon thing that is supposedly on deck. But do I really need 49 or 75 megapixels? And won't Nikon up the ante and match it? They seem to be ahead of the game in sensor technology, seems to be the right side to be on. I am not brand loyal at all. Really disappointed in Canon right now.

Don't chase the rabbit....

Chances are, your photos won't get any better by lusting after a new Canon/Nikon/Sony camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back