Nikon D600 - Entry Level FX Full Frame DSLR!!!

StandingBear1983

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
More Nikon D600 rumors | Nikon Rumors

• The price of the D600 is rumored to be very low - maybe as low as $1500.
  • The sensor inside the D600 will probably be 24MP (made by Sony, modified by Nikon).
  • The D600 will probably not have an internal AF motor, which means it will work only with AF-S lenses (just like the D3200 and D5100).
  • The D600 will have HD video.
  • Announcement before Photokina (September 2012).
  • One or more low-priced f/4 lenses will be announced with the D600. For example, Nikon recently filed a patent for a 24-70mm f/3.5-4.5 full frame lens which seems to be designed for a cheaper FX DSLR body.

Hmm interesting.

They effectively release a budget FX DSLR but they don't have any budget FX glass. The focusing motor would open up possibilities using second hand lenses as a cheap alternative, but without it you're effectively stuck with most lenses for this camera being worth way more than the camera itself.

If you look at the leaked photos, the D600 WILL have an internal AF motor.

Try not to dig up relatively ancient threads. It's frowned upon around these parts.

Mark

Try not to dig up relatively ancient threads. It's frowned upon around these parts.

Mark

why is that? if there is information relevant to the original topic, is it any different than starting a new thread rehashing the same thing? the OP might not still be around, but new people might be interested in the information.

Markw said:

Mark

Really? Since when?

Markw said:

Mark

Really? Since when?

Since forever.

However, I'd rather have a bumped thread that was older, but revitalized with new info, rather than 10 new threads about the same thing.

For me, 4 months isn't very long in Internet context.

For me, 4 months isn't very long in Internet context.

Its a very long time. It's like dog years. 4 months on the web is like a year in normal time.

It had better have an internal focus motor. To me, that would be ridiculous if it didnt.

It probably won't have an AF motor. That way, you'll have to buy the expensive AF-s lenses on it, and Nikon will make an incredible amount of money from that, because an incredible amount of people are going to buy the camera.

Personally, I don't think FX is something that should be hindered. I'd much rather see a stellar D400 than a hindered D600 (that is still going to be incredible, I'm sure. Just hindered, still). When Nikon starts producing MX series of cameras, that's when FX should start to be hindered, and DX worked out altogether (by that time, megapixels (cropability) will nullify the need for the extra reach, like it or not, and size won't be a concern as the cameras are already entirely too small now (wait till D600 comes. You'll see.)). Until then, FX will be king of the hill and should be treated as such. All this about the D600 being practically as small as the D3200, with no AF motor, etc is ridiculous. Granted, it will be a spectacular camera, no doubt. But, I still don't believe it should be at all.

Just my 2¢.
Mark

That way, you'll have to buy the expensive AF-s lenses on it, and Nikon will make an incredible amount of money from that, because an incredible amount of people are going to buy the camera.
Nikon has many inexpensive, consumer grade AF-S lenses that have an auto focus motor in them. If fact many of the older AF lenses that don't have an auto focus motor in them cost more than an equivalent AF-S lens Nikon offers.

A lot of the AF-S lenses also have VR. It is my understanding VR adds quite a bit more (both parts and labor) to the price of a lens than an auto focus motor does.

The more expensive AF-S lenses are usually more expensive because they have higher grade optics wider maximum apertures, not because they have an auto focus motor in them.

Nikon leaves the auto focus motor and auto focus screw drive system out of some of their cameras to make them lighter and more compact. The compact camera bodies appeal to a lot of women that get interested in doing photography.

I think the D600 WILL have an in-body AF motor. But even if it does not have one, the transition to AF-S and the G-series lenses in mostly complete. There sure is a lot of nonsense being thrown around WRT to the price of AF-S lenses versus old, dated AF-D lenses...like the comment that there is no "budget FX glass" for Nikon...nonsense...there are TONS of options...and the term "budget glass" and a 24- to 36 MP sensor??? Who TF CARES about "budget FX glass"??? And even the very term "FX Glass" is a misnomer, a made-up bit of shorthand for something that does not exist...there is NO SUCH TERM as FX glass in the Nikon lineup....there is ONLY "DX"....a handful of DX Nikkors and Zoom~Nikkors have been made....the entire balance of the line is and ALWAYS HAS BEEN designed to image on full-frame or 24x36mm image area. Nikon does not designate a single lens as "FX Nikkor".

"Doah!".

Most reactions

Back