Shadows on the Red Carpet

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

Some of you may have seen my post about the swimwear company, Vizcaya. Well the shoot went great, it was a lot of fun, and the models were gorgeous. But all the photographers there, including myself, had big complaints about the lighting. It was at 10pm and we had one small orange construction light at ground level to light up the backdrop. This, even with flash, created atrocious shadows. How would you have approached this? Sure, you can light up the background with an extra flash behind them or something, but this was on the middle of this sidewalk with tons of people walking by. How do the hollywood red carpet photographers get such good lighting? Any advice?

$DSC_0286-2.JPG

I had a similar issue with a fashion show I shot last year. Took me a year of speaking with them to finally get the lighting resolved in time for the next year's show.

In terms of dealing with it when your shooting it? Maybe if you had a way of shooting with your flash high, similar to a butterfly lighting setup? Should help even out the eye shadows, and might fill in some of the background shadows as well? Either way, its a crappy situation.

I agree, thanks for your input! :)

I have no experience with fashion photography but maybe a flash bracket could have helped or even an off-camera hot-shoe cable...not 100% sure but the lighting looks really bad.

Do you have an off camera flash?

Most reactions

Back