Shall I go digital?!

giulia_grimaldi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to buy a new lens for my film Nikon F65...at this point I'm seriously considering getting a digital reflex camera. Any suggestion on
a) whether I should go digital
b) if so what camera should I get: I'm no pro but I like shooting and I like to have some control over the camera... Nikon D40 (?) D80 (?)
c) I always had a super zoom (28-200)... should I get 2 lenses instead of the 28-200?

Sorry for having submerged you with questions... but i'm VERY indecisive!!! :D
thanx

There is a LOT to like about digital - instant fedd-back, no film and development cost (and nearly endless shots) and the ability to edit your images on a computer directly from a camera.

If you like Nikon, stay with it. They're one of the best companies around. Go to a store, hold one in your hand, fire off a couple of shots, and see what you think.

The D40 is an entry level camera and is a bit limited. I would not go below the D80 if buying new. I don't know your budget but the D70s/50 is soon to be 2 generations old and although still capable of making great images should start to really fall off in resale value.

This may mean that you could start seeing them in the $300 range soon. (this may be too much to hope for as they are still great cameras)

Thanks!! !! :D the info was really usefull... i think I'll go with the D80 18-135 mm kit...

D-anything and the 18-200 VR would be a dynamite combination.

Despite what many prefer and would have you think, 35mm film photography is pretty much dead. There is no reason at all to use it any longer. Yes you should switch to digital and choose a camera like the D80 that will accept your existing lenses.

I'm not against film photography. I've done it for 1/2 a century and I still do it with medium format. But 35mm film is obselete.

That's just not true Fred.There's lots of Goth girls in Freshman college courses who know that B&W film is TRUE photography and everything else is fake.

Anyway... Fred is right. Film is no longer evolving, in fact it is devolving. Less companies are making film cameras and related products (film itself, paper, projectors, heads, you name it...) whereas digital has really opened up photography in ways that has changed the hobby (and the profession). But it does make some of us more experienced photographers groan at times, because everything "digital" is somehow marketed as empowering the user. Supposedly it makes everything easier and better. It's not. If anything, the control that you potentially gain in digital (esp. in processing, not so much during shooting) gives you a lot more options, but also makes the learning curve steeper.

I need to buy a new lens for my film Nikon F65...at this point I'm seriously considering getting a digital reflex camera. Any suggestion on
a) whether I should go digital
b) if so what camera should I get: I'm no pro but I like shooting and I like to have some control over the camera... Nikon D40 (?) D80 (?)
c) I always had a super zoom (28-200)... should I get 2 lenses instead of the 28-200?

Sorry for having submerged you with questions... but i'm VERY indecisive!!! :D
thanx

definitely not the D40. You will regret it when you realize your older lenses dont have autofocus motors in them.

Gosh. I haven't been hanging with any Freshman Goth Girls lately. I'm getting way behind. ;)

That's just not true Fred.There's lots of Goth girls in Freshman college courses who know that B&W film is TRUE photography and everything else is fake.

:lmao:

That is so true it's not even funny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back