kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Yesterday while shooting a small, thin piece of metal came loose from somewhere and is now hanging out on top of my sensor. I have a Canon Rebel xsi.

sensortrouble.jpg

1. What is it?

2. Is it expensive to service this type of problem? (I bought the camera used but it is a relatively new camera, less than a year old. Could I still somehow tap into a warranty without a receipt and official registration?)

3. I don't know anything about the camera's sensor, but it is laying on top of it. Do you think any damage could have occured?

Thank you,

Kevin

Can you take a clean "loop" of Scotch brand Magic Tape, and simply press it very,very gently onto the shard, and then lift it out? As a member of another forum, there were a number of guys who actually used the Scotch Tape Method of sensor cleaning; it's not really the sensor, but the AA filter array, a very thing,hard glass sheet, immediately in front of the sensor.

1. What is it?

Not good.

I'd be more worried about what is now missing a part inside the camera...

I guess it could be a sliver that came off of the mount (lens or body).

I would inspect all of your lenses and the mount on the body to see if that's the case...

(Though, judging by the shape of it - I doubt that's what it is...)

1. What is it?

a foreign object but you already knew that. could be almost anything.

2. Is it expensive to service this type of problem? (I bought the camera used but it is a relatively new camera, less than a year old. Could I still somehow tap into a warranty without a receipt and official registration?)

Not sure what the minimum service fee is, probably $50+. Doubtful to get it covered under a warranty that you don't have unless you bought it as a reconditioned model from a reputable dealer who has their own warranty.

3. I don't know anything about the camera's sensor, but it is laying on top of it. Do you think any damage could have occured?

Well, we know that something has failed as evidenced by the fact that you have a foreign object on the sensor. You need to get if off of there. The scotch tape might not be a bad idea. You could always do try the bulb blower method, but you also face the possibility of blowing it back into the camera where it could cause more problems or get back on the sensor. If you try the bulb blower, I would suggest that you hold the body so that the lens mount is parallel to the ground to increase the likelihood that it will fall outside of the body. I would lean towards the idea of using something that will attach to it though like tape or a sensor pen. I'm guessing you don't have any actual cleaning tools or you would've already attempted it.

how about using the blub blower, but backwards...

as in, purge all the air out of the bulb, put it against the shard, and then release the bulb....might work?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back