Sharp portraiture

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always loved the tack sharp, shallow DOF tight portraits. A lot of them I see are from street shooters, but there's others as well, such as Platon. I guess it helps that he's using MF cameras.

Anyway, here's my attempt. After trying this I now know that I need to correctly adjust the diopeter. Wearing glasses makes it a bit harder to MF with a really wide aperture. Are there any guides on how to adjust the diopter adjustment properly?

This was shot with an 85 f/1.8 @ f/1.8 I see that I could stand to close the aperture a bit, as the focus is on the skin just infront of the eyes and the eyes are out of focus. I finally did this with AI AF focused on the eyes. The lighting could use some work as well, but I was mainly insterested in trying to get the look down.

Are there any guides on how to adjust the diopter adjustment properly?

Take your lens off and look through the diapoter towards a blank wall. Just adjust the diopter until the markings on your focus screen are as sharp as possible.

Have you thought about using a Katz Eye focusing screen? I wear glasses as well and am trying to get used to not having a microprizm and split screen like what was in my SLR. I'm still trying to get the manual focus down. For Nikon they suggest putting it into Live View and magnify the image and focus that way which for still shots I have been trying.

I am going to try what Boom said as well, I did it originally with the lens on but keep thinking I may want to eventually try the Katz Eye if I can't get the manual focus correct ... of course it just be that I suck at fousing these days!:lol:

Focus on something at Infinity, like the moon when it is out, or a very distant landscape item like trees at the top of a ridge. And do it quickly, so your eye does not adapt to a slightly mis-adjusted setting as you make the actual adjustment of the diopter setting. Try bringing the camera up to your eye 3,4,5 times, with rest in between...if it looks GOOD, immediately, the setting is right...if it takes a second or two for your eye to "adjust"...the diopter setting is off slightly.

And do it quickly, so your eye does not adapt to a slightly mis-adjusted setting as you make the actual adjustment of the diopter setting.

Which is why you just take the lens off.... so your eye has nothing else to adapt to. Trying to adjust a diapoter with a lens on is like trying to push water uphill.

And do it quickly, so your eye does not adapt to a slightly mis-adjusted setting as you make the actual adjustment of the diopter setting.

Which is why you just take the lens off.... so your eye has nothing else to adapt to. Trying to adjust a diapoter with a lens on is like trying to push water uphill.

Is the water in a spill proof glass on a motorized cart?

Unfounded you say? Blasphemy! One minute you're Ongbak the Muay thai warrior who can't spell his name correctly, the next minute you're McGillicutty the Irish potato farmer, and now, Edearington Jones having an identity crisis.

Unfounded you say? Blasphemy! One minute you're Ongbak the Muay thai warrior who can't spell his name correctly, the next minute you're McGillicutty the Irish potato farmer, and now, Edearington Jones having an identity crisis.

Dude, you need help. And trust me, I know a thing or two about blasphemy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back