Sharpening in CS4 during output?

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you guys typically sharpen your image as the last step before saving the file for printing? Is there a typical setting that you use? I always forget to do this and am trying to get into the habit of doing it. I sometimes have trouble seeing much of a difference when zoomed 100% though so its hard for me to decide sometimes.

I generally use Unmask Sharpen. 1.8, then just slide it along till I like the look. I'm not a huge fan of sharpening out the moment. But in the past have had some good results.

Do you guys typically sharpen your image as the last step before saving the file for printing? Is there a typical setting that you use? I always forget to do this and am trying to get into the habit of doing it. I sometimes have trouble seeing much of a difference when zoomed 100% though so its hard for me to decide sometimes.
I typically sharpen an image at least twice and for many images 3 times. There is no one setting that works for everything.

I make the vast majority of my captures in RAW and I do what I call capture sharpening in my RAW converter. (I use ACR).

The second step of sharpening is usually target to specific parts of the image.

Lastly I do a global sharpening for output.

Each image or group of images is evaluated seperately but there are general guidelines you can use for certain types of images like portraits or landscapes.

Also, there are many sharpening techniques, some are done for purposes like local contrast enhancement, rather than for clarity.

For those that have Photoshop they can do LAB sharpening, High-Pass filter sharpening, Luminosity sharpening, or several other techniques.

I have not really noticed any issues with my photos looking noticeably soft or anything, but had read that it should be something you regularly do on output. I thought that maybe I had been missing something that could make my pictures even better.

I have always done all my edits first, then as a last step, I flatten or turn it all into a smart object (depends is i feel I might make further adjustments later) Then I copy the layer and apply a highpass filter to adjust and fine tune my sharpening, set the layer to overlay to apply the sharpen and then save or print.

Most reactions

Back