Sharpness FX Vs DX

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I've been doing some research over DXO results .. I'm checking for example sharpness of same lens like this

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G - DxOMark

it seems, that DXOMark just in generic shows in his results that DX cameras has sharpness limit before AP11 .. this just apply on all lens and all cameras .. for example I've read the review and checked measurements for my lens (I have d7200 so d5600 as used camera seems better than d7100 because d5600 is closer to d7200 because they have same chip and so on) .. a very most of reviews say, that the best performance on these lens are with AP11 and DXOMark say that AP11 is already bad ..

On the other hand, DXOMark shows ultimately better and flatly same performance for DX (Vs FX) so my question is - how should I interpret DXOMark ??

I was now checking some available lens and wanted to buy a FX lenx for my DX body as for future transition to FX camera .. I'm disappointed by DXOMark seemingly applying some flat constants on results when comparing lens on DX and FX cameras ..

According DXOMark measurements, the DX cameras won't work well with AP11+ in general no matter on what lens are mounted (let's say now talking about Nikon cameras and random lens) ..

thanks for your input !!

regards

Hello,

I've been doing some research over DXO results .. I'm checking for example sharpness of same lens like this

it seems, that DXOMark just in generic shows in his results that DX cameras has sharpness limit before AP11 .. this just apply on all lens and all cameras .. for example I've read the review and checked measurements for my lens (I have d7200 so d5600 as used camera seems better than d7100 because d5600 is closer to d7200 because they have same chip and so on) .. a very most of reviews say, that the best performance on these lens are with AP11 and DXOMark say that AP11 is already bad ..

On the other hand, DXOMark shows ultimately better and flatly same performance for DX (Vs FX) so my question is - how should I interpret DXOMark ??

I was now checking some available lens and wanted to buy a FX lenx for my DX body as for future transition to FX camera .. I'm disappointed by DXOMark seemingly applying some flat constants on results when comparing lens on DX and FX cameras ..

According DXOMark measurements, the DX cameras won't work well with AP11+ in general no matter on what lens are mounted (let's say now talking about Nikon cameras and random lens) ..

thanks for your input !!

regards

A minor limiter of sharpness is diffraction and diffraction is relative to sensor size: Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

That's what you're seeing with the DXO resutls.

A minor limiter of sharpness is diffraction and diffraction is relative to sensor size: Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

a-ha, thanks for link, interesting article ... so in other words, I am still learning, that's why I ask, if we'd like to simplify that: is AP 11 in general the AP size threshold beyond which sharpeness starts drastically decreasing on DX sensors (no matter on lens) ? This seems to be an outcome from DXOMark measurements ...

thanks

a-ha, thanks for link, interesting article ... so in other words, I am still learning, that's why I ask, if we'd like to simplify that: is AP 11 in general the AP size threshold beyond which sharpeness starts drastically decreasing on DX sensors (no matter on lens) ? This seems to be an outcome from DXOMark measurements ...

thanks

F/11 is typically recognized as the diffraction threshold for DX size sensors. Sharpness however at f/11 does not start to "drastically" decrease due to diffraction. Rather a slight, nearly imperceptible and most often acceptable (given the trade-off) loss of sharpness begins to occur at f/11. In other words if you need it use it but if you don't need it don't use it.

I ran into this while reading Bryan Peterson's Exposure Solutions where he advocates wide angle lenses for landscapes in order to include close in objects for perspective. He calls for small apertures with the goal of getting "everything" in focus very near to far. So, next opportunity I set up a D500, DX body, and took several shots of a landscape (pond, reeds, lily pads, trees, partly cloudy sky, ...) at several different apertures including f/11 up to and including f/22, the limit of the lens. When I started comparing the images in LightRoom is was obvious that images at f/11 were slightly softer than f8 and it got worse as the apertures got smaller. Initially thought it was my lens. Did the research, found it was diffraction.

Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

I like Peterson's idea of including close in objects in landscapes, but what I do now if take at least 3 shots, close objects in focus, mid range objects in focus, far objects in focus, usually at f/8, the do focus stacking in PP.

In the example you are showing in the OP they are simply comparing a full image with the exact same image cropped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back