Sharpness Questions

xxWesxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wesleyphotographyshots.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, im an amateur photographer, just got my DSLR last year. Now I have a Cannon Rebel T3i with a 18-55mm Kit lens, Im looking at my images that I will shoot, which I shoot in RAW format, and I get to post. I load up the image and Make sure everything Sharpness wise is best as possible. Now I do use the Highpass filter on Photoshop and i use the Unsharp tool.
But my images are really really blurry when I zoom in. Which i realize is normal. But when I go on other people's pictures they are very tack sharp. Especially in the eyes. Here is what im talking about:
$_MG_8773.jpg Original Zoomed in: $Capture.JPG Other peoples: $raleigh corporate portraits.jpg Zoomed in: $Capture.JPG

What am I missing here? Am i stupid for asking this question? Haha. But anyways Thanks guys!

What are the settings for each shot, what focus mode did you use, and which focus point(s)?

There's enough things that effect sharpness you could write entire books about it.

Lens properties. Aperture. Shutter speed. How you hold the camera. Focus point. DOF. Your posture. Handling the camera. ISO. Focal length. Post processes. Etc.

Each one needs to be addressed. Working on just ONE will not make a sharp image.

Last edited:
You're zooming into a tiny part of your image compared to the 'other people's', your cropped image suggests a lot of noise reduction and over sharpening but compare it a similar degree of crop of the other image...

You're zooming into a tiny part of your image compared to the 'other people's', your cropped image suggests a lot of noise reduction and over sharpening but compare it a similar degree of crop of the other image...
This.

The size of the crop you did on the black and white photo is equivalent in pixels to almost the entire photo of the girl, not just her eye.

Maybe, at least. Hard to tell since you're just throwing out random crops at different pixel densities than the originals. Some sharpened, some not, different ways. No control = no experiment = very little learned.

If you're gonna peep at pixels, you should at least do it in a way that only alters one variable at a time, in order to umderstand what's going on.

f4.5 should provide sufficient depth of field, but if the subject was close to the extremes of the DOF, it might not be as sharp as possible. 1/80th sec exposure could be a little slow to prevent hand and/or subject movement, which could result in a little blurring. As mentioned above, pixel peeping at highly zoomed-in resolution will reveal that almost any picture is not razor sharp.

Over sharpening a photograph, like the first one, produced the white 'edges' along the hair/skin lines. Noise reduction also reduced some of the sharpness as well. The 2nd picture looks to me to be as sharp as one could expect with your equipment. There's absolutely nothing wrong from what I can tell.. If you're looking to get pictures that are more sharp than that when zoomed in, you better have deep pockets or very good credit...think red-ring lenses and full-frame cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back