Shell in black and white

Reaction score
This is a quick studio snapshot:
1. Took the photo of the shell
2. Added the reflection in photoshop
3. Added the spotlight in top right corner in photoshop

I consciously reduced highlights in the spot to focus the viewer on the main subject. But somehow I think the spotlight now looks a bit strange... what do you think?

Cheers,
Andreas

Shell in black and white-Andreas Timm-2014.jpg

I agree. Not only does it look strange, it is in the wrong place to be making the light on the shell.

The spotlight looks stupid because you have what are obviously blown highlights rendered in grey. It's also, as noted, in the wrong place.

Don't reduce the highlights. Reduce the contrast, feather it into the background. And/or render it out of focus. There are probably a handful more things you could do.

Why didn't you just do it in camera?

While we're at it, it sounds suspiciously like there's a fallacy in play here: the eye is drawn to the brightest point.

This is a little factoid which photographers repeat to one another and copy from one place to another like a bunch of cows. For extra fun they might even say that painters have known this for hundreds of years.

This is the sort of thing that makes actual painters clutch their little tummies and roll about on the floor giggling.

Painters have known for 100s of years or more that the eye is drawn to the point of highest contrast. Place a light brushstroke next to a dark one to draw attention. You can have acres of area that is lighter or darker than either brushstroke and still the attention goes, zap, to the right place.

If you do it right.

What is wrong with just the shell? I think it makes a nice picture maybe a bit on the boring side but anything beautifully done is always a joy to look at.

I would lose the spotlight at the very least.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back