Shenandoah National Park.. Last Minute Trip! Help?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I was scheduled to go back up to the Adirondack mountains this weekend but the weather turned bad. Last minute my plans just changed to heading south for Shenandoah NP.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and going to be there for three full days, and I'm looking for hikes and photo opportunities.

I'm already planning to hike Old Rag, White Oak Canyon, Humpback Rock, Blackrock Mtn... but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask you guys if you know of anything in the area.

If you guys have any advice or secret spots let me know! Thanks!

imho both Old Rag and White Oak Canyon are best hiked if starting from the bottom outside the park. Old Rag has some scrambling don't carry a huge amount of photo gear. Personally I like accessing all the hikes from outside the park - although knowing where to park and not piss off the locals can be a bit of a mystery at times.

Overall falls is a cool falls. All the hikes in Shenandoah are rather short so treat them as loops combing with other hikes. Example from the bottom I'll hike White Oak then turn left at the top and return down via the Cedar Run Falls. It's been dry so the creeks(waterfalls) aren't really full but still fun. Monday should be cool with the big rain storm.

Stock up with food in Front Royal as cheap grocery stores become scarce. There is good camping out side the park in the George Washington Forest.

Have fun

Here is some info on waterfalls in the Park. I'm a particular fan of Rose River Falls: Waterfalls - Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I agree with the comment about Old Rag and the "scrambling"...everything needs to be on your back, well balanced and so you can move easily.

Also, you're close enough to visit Harpers Ferry. There is a little bit of something for everyone there: the old historic town, trains, nature, great hiking, great views from the peaks around the town.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just finished hiking old rag. The rock scramble was way crazier than I imagined but I had an absolute blast!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back