What's new

Shiny newness!!

Overread19

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The postman (and lady) cometh and they did unto us deliver new shinyness!

4311255436_5bc5f7c513.jpg


4310517385_5a191372c6.jpg


1:1 - true macro - 4 inch working distance (as marked on the lens itself) also listing focal length as 101mm
4311254764_72962281df.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4311254764_b6c29688ab_o.jpg
f13, ISO 200, 1/200sec

5:1 - insane sillyness - 1.6 inch working distance (as marked on the lens itself) also listing focal length as 41mm
4311254996_6a3a848309.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/4311254996_47d89d8a9e_o.jpg
f13, ISO 200, 1/200sec

And I should hopefully be able to squeeze a bit more sharpness out of it at the 5:1 end - though I need more practice working at such magnifications.

Its heavier (though not unmanagble by any means) than I thought it would be, and it has a complete black metal finish to it. It's out of macro focusing is also not just limited, its non-existant. This will only do 1:1 to 5:1 and nothing outside of that.
Lighting is also an interesting aspect - ETTL, with a little flash compensation, has always given me good results with my regular macro lenses; not so with the MPE - at 1:1 results were good, but compensation would be needed - but at 5:1 the flash meter just could not cope - time to slip into manual. (and for those wondering the 580EX2 had easily more power than needed to be the main lighting for a 5:1 shot - it was reducing the power output that was needed).

It's going to be a tricky lens to get used to without the twinflash - since its front element is tiny and thus shadowing from a hotshoe flash is - I suspect - a problem; especailly when combined with its small working distance. However I welcome zoomable macro magnification :)
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
heh seems like I forgot to mention -- Canon MPE65 mm macro lens
 
Now ..... give us some insane looking bug shots! This is an ORDER! :D
 
You dirty dog! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats and all the jazz.........wicked lens.
 
Nice!

Hotshoe flash will be a problem, but reflectors will work great for those up close and personal shots.
 
Yeah i would like to get a feild review when you get ou twith it. Its hard to order those bugs to hold still. Good job
 
OMG!!! Excellent!!! Nice lens!!!
Enjoy it, and of course... congrats!!!

I agree... BUG SHOTS!!!
 
Nice!

I have been wanting one of those for a while... :)
 
"Yeah, Baby!!" "Looks groovy,man, totally groovy!!":thumbup::thumbup:

Enjoy! I heard you were opening up an ant portrait photography business, and I see you've now got the centerpiece for the studio! bring on those ant modeling portfolio images, and those aphid zed cards, and all that...
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
Many thanks guys - and you are a demanding lot to please - all those bugshot calls! Well I think luck was with me - I have no idea how small this spider is nor the magnifcation but for an idea it was smaller than 5mm

4311926083_131c3fc150.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4311926083_e1f6023666_o.jpg

Ok so I clipped off both legs, but I got it in focus!

Settings
f13, ISO 200, 1/200sec, flash 1/4 + 7 manual power

Gear
Canon 400D + Canon MPE65mm macro lighting was a 580EX2 with Lumiquest softbox

Setup
Flash resting on the floor in the lower left area of the shot whilst camera was held with both hands and focused manualy (on this lens manual is the only option). A test shot was taken earlier to get a power setting for the flash which would yeald a decent exposure.

Output - this is processed and sharpened as normal
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
I share the spider fear --- buuuut I do want to get close shots of a jumping spider!
They rank just after the preying mantis in my macro good looks list!
 
Lets see some praying mantis shots!!!!!! They are not native around my parts, but when I was young, dad would order a couple egg cases and hatch them indoors and then turn them loose in the flower beds in the SUmmer. It was always cool to find them hiding out in the plants outside. The cats ate most of them however.:x
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #15
Unfortunatly there are no preying mantis wild in the UK (at least there darn well shouldn't be!) so the best I would get is a pet or zoo kept mantis. And I don't know anyone with apet and most zoos keep them in their pens
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom