shocked

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok, i am just back from the local malls from the area where my parents live. and it was sort of Christmas shopping so I went to all those places which sell calendars, books containing photographs pf the local area but also about world travel (illustrated) ... and I was so shocked how bad photography in many of these publications is!!!! there was a calendar containing panoramas of my home town, and I would have been too embarrassed to sell such images for a calendar!!!

is this an international problem? Am I too spoiled since I got to critical since I do photograph myself?

it was just a shock what junk is used to produce profit!

I thought art was subjective... just because you don't like doesn't mean it's bad.

Just messin', yeah... I'd say most photos look decent in calendars around here... not spectacular, but respectable.

[JR];1064756 said:
I thought art was subjective... just because you don't like doesn't mean it's bad.

Just messin', yeah... I'd say most photos look decent in calendars around here... not spectacular, but respectable.

it is not that i do not like them, but many are technically very poor. (lots of CA, poor exposure, ...)

then there are lots of compositions which where forced into panoramas, but just were not made to be a pano (take a skyline and cut off the top of the church spire, or tower)

we are not talking about taste, but about the very basics...

they could just be any old library pictures or stock images. Probably cheaper for the publisher to do that than to higher a pro photog.

Alex, is that David Bellemy in your avatar?

they could just be any old library pictures or stock images. Probably cheaper for the publisher to do that than to higher a pro photog.

no, everything i looked at had specific photographers' names underneath. the calendars were usually photographed by one particular person each. so that means 13 images per calendar from one local photographer.

Alex, is that David Bellemy in your avatar?
no, he is a Clochard from Paris, who did work as a model for me this summer (for less than one hour) ...

lol, with him i would have had less communication problems ... since he speaks English ;)

I don't exactly take stunning photographs, but since starting photography earlier this year, I've noticed that I dislike a lot of photos that I would have liked before I started taking photos myself. And yeah, calendars particularly, those just disappoint me now.

2006 calendar was Salvadori Dali.

2007 calendar was M.C. Escher.

2008 I went with Ansel Adams.

I like my choices.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back