Shoot for prints turning into a paid thing... HELP

PhotoGav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I did my first photo shoot with an amateur model last month, and told her that in return for her time, I'd give her an 8x10 print.

We ended up with 720 shots between two shoots, so I told her I'd print two.

Now she's asking for copies of 48 of them. They are all in RAW format and I'd need to do at least some basic processing.

Am I wrong to ask for payment for these, as she will be using them for her portfolio, and I will have to spend at LEAST some time on each?

Looking forward to some thoughts!

Gavin
Home

I would ask her to split the coast because you don't want to burn your bridges if you need a future model and she could open doors for you if you use her pictures in your portfolio. She won't get mad lol

new York N

negative. You had an agreement? Stick with it. Was it written? Lesson learned.

Personally I don't give prints, only edited jpgs.

Good idea - splitting the cost.

The written agreement stated prints for time - 2 prints.

Split the cost so he can increase his portfolio and he can use her in the future for shoots and portraits . I know business is business buts it's always good to have a good business report. Then in the future for other clients he can dot the iiiii and cross the ttttttt .

new York N

I just don't like the idea of the Art telling the Artist what to do ;)

I got too many models wanting me to work TF around here...funny, never even thought I would ever be doing portraiture. :D

In my usage license, I guarantee two finished images per look for a TF shoot (usually 2-3 looks total = 6 images max). Anything beyond that requires payment. I may send a few more of one look if I really like what we did but this keeps inexperienced models at bay. I have never had to resort to the payment option. Additionally, serious models know they only need one great image from a single shoot for their portfolio.

ETA: don't split costs. You already agreed to the terms of the trade. Do you really want to work again with a model who wants 48 images? Move on and chalk it up to a learning experience.

In summary:
1. Give her two images
2. Charge her appropriately for however many more she wants
3. Always use a model and usage release (or whatever is applicable in Canada) prior to shooting
4. If she doesn't like your terms, tell her to find a GWC who will cater to her needs

Got an online sales site? Let her go there and select the images she wants, do your pp only on the images before uploading the full sized images for final fullfillment.... after she has paid.

Here's another kicker I don't know that you have considered... do you have a use license figured out for the photos she may want? You definitely don't want to give unlimited rights without knowing it.

Hi,

I did my first photo shoot with an amateur model last month, and told her that in return for her time, I'd give her an 8x10 print.

We ended up with 720 shots between two shoots, so I told her I'd print two.

Now she's asking for copies of 48 of them. They are all in RAW format and I'd need to do at least some basic processing.

Am I wrong to ask for payment for these, as she will be using them for her portfolio, and I will have to spend at LEAST some time on each?

Looking forward to some thoughts!

Gavin
Home

Why not just give her digi copies (with signature) and tell her to print them herself. Its not like this was a contracted deal where the pictures were for some intended purpose besides self advertising. How are you losing money? I would spend money to print them though. plus your photos arent that great anyway so you should be happy she would work with you for the practice anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back