shooting a model today ... dun dun dun.. HELP

Shadowbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm nervous because today I am going to meet a model and take her photos! She needs updated photos for her portfolio so while she normally gets paid she is letting me do them for TFCD. She will be the first non-family member I took pictures of, omg!

I'm not nervous because I think I have a good grip on the exposure triangle and will be able to adjust my camera settings accordingly, and I now know I either tend to over or underexpose so I'm going to take my time and be really careful about it.

What I am nervous about is I want to use my prime lens but always seem to miss focus. I look through the viewfinder and it appears IN focus, but later I realize it's so soft.

If I shoot at say 2.8 will I still get a nice creamy background? Because when I shoot at 2 or 1.8 it's really soft, usually on the whole photo and how come it looks like I am focused but after I release the shutter it's not?

Another thing to worry about is lighting because if she usually gets paid they will want to look good and the best way is to use flash mixed with the ambient for some dramatic shots

Hi Shadowbox,

I think it's cool that you are doing TFP.

I use prime lenses almost exclusively, and the reason you spend lots of cash for them is because they are the sharpest tool in your toolbox. Don't put yourself in a corner with the whole ap thing. You rule it. It doesn't rule you. Decide what YOU need to get the look you are going after.

If it's missing focus, it's most likely user error. Aim at the bridge of the nose, and recompose. The lower the ap, the less will be in total focus.

I don't know what prime you are using, or what conditions you are shooting in, and that would help.

Best of luck today, and have fun.

It will depend on how far the background is away from your subject. But 2.8 is still a fairly shallow DOF, so it should give your some good bokeh. Have you practiced your focusing ( I am assuming you mean Manual focusing, and not AF?) to determine why it is usually soft? Really large apertures produce such shallow DOF that they can be very unforgiving. Even F4 and up can give nice backgrounds, depending on the background and distance.

Try bracketing both exposure and DOF... just to cover your bases.

and have fun! :)

Your problem might be shutter speed if the entire pic is soft. Make sure you're getting at least 1/80 for ss to eliminate camera shake. I would recommend stopping down a bit just to get in the sharper range of your lens anyway. At 1.8 DOF is razor thin and even a slight recompose will change your point of focus. I don't know about Nikon's 50 1.8, but Canon's doesn't really start to get sharp til about 5.6.

Thanks!

Yes I am worried about lighting too gary. I'm not positive what today will be, but I scheduled it for 6 at a local park where there are some ponds and a lake. Have to pay to get into the lake side so we might just stick to the trails. I think it's going to be a normal sunny day but around 6 the sun isn't right overhead any longer.

I try to shoot with the sun behind and to the side of the subject, but if I can't do that what would be the best alternative? I also have my reflector and flash but I'm going to try not to use the flash unless I need it to highlight her face.

My prime is the 50mm 1.8 by nikon and it's manual focus. I do have a tripod but I'm not so comfortable with it, yet. I will use it though on occassion. I feel I must not focus correctly with this lens. I think it's focused and I either must move or must have it too wide open because they are all very soft. Hardly get a nice sharp photo with it.

To be honest her portfolio is really lacking right now. The photographers she has worked with have all done the same standard thing I see with the models in my area- get them naked, put them in some really subpar setting and take photos claiming to have 40+ years of experience. I don't see that from their work at all and it shocks me. I feel bad for some of these girls, they really want to be a model but they are not understanding that the photographers who claim to be professional are giving them basically crap photos.

I have a long way to go but my intentions are not to see girls naked nut it is to learn photography so I think I can provide at least some quality photos from her. Not all of my photos turn out well but I am confident I can produce some nice photos for her.

Sorry for the rant!

This is a photo I took for TPF challenge yesterday.

The orange was supposed to be in focus and it really looked like it was when I took it! I did quite a few of them and they ALL are like this. This one is the most sharp of the bunch.

ISO 100
SS 1/20
F1.8
50mm

1.jpeg

Do you look at the focus light? I'm not sure which camera do you use but I use AF-S mode on my Nikons and give the focus light about 1/2 second before taking the shot. Also watch the focus light while pressing the shutter button. On top of that, I also set my Nikon not to actuate the shutter if it doesn't have focus. You can also use focus locking and/or higher shutter speed to make sure that your movement does not contribute to the problem. :D

I don't have a professional level camera, I use a d40x and I have never noticed a focus light at all but I do have it set to af-s. I see the shutter speed was very slow. If I use this lens tonight I may shoot in manual so I can have full control over it. I was shooting in Aperture mode but then I can't choose shutter speed and in Shutter mode I can't choose aperture so .. manual would be best for this lens I think. I just am scared of manual.

I don't have a professional level camera, I use a d40x and I have never noticed a focus light at all but I do have it set to af-s. I see the shutter speed was very slow. If I use this lens tonight I may shoot in manual so I can have full control over it. I was shooting in Aperture mode but then I can't choose shutter speed and in Shutter mode I can't choose aperture so .. manual would be best for this lens I think. I just am scared of manual.
-
If you place it on the center focusing point it should shine the focus assist light. On most Nikons this is the only point where the focus assist light works. Your lemon shot is too slow a shutter speed to hold.
-
Shoot well, Joe

As far as I know, that focus indicator is on all Nikon DSLR cameras (including my 10 yeas old Fujifilm S2 Pro)... but I could be wrong... lol

For your D40x, here's an image that may help. The little green dot on the bottom left is the focus indicator that I'm referring too, sorry for the confusion. That has to stay green while you're pressing the shutter.

ZD40VF.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back