elizpage

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethpagewalker.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 60D with a 50mm f/1.8 and 24mm f/2.8 lenses, which I know are relatively fast lenses and good starter lenses as well. Is this true?

I also have an 18-55mm kit lens from my T1i (I just upgraded a bit ago). I'm guessing the zoom lens will probably be crap, as it has been in the past for me and failed me multiple times. However, I need to know whether or not I'll need to use it on some of the wider shots or will the 24mm be enough to include the entire family in the shots..

Really, really worried about this wedding. I took a friend's engagement pictures with my T1i that this particular client really liked.. But I'm unsure if I will do a good job.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Search this site for wedding photography. Honestly, with what you listed, you do not have enough equipment to properly shoot a wedding. Remember this is a one time event and you don't get to chance to do it again. You need at the very least a back-up body and lens.

I'm sorry to seem so negative but you asked to know what to expect. I wish you the best of luck.

Ron--

I have a T1i body and a backup 50mm lens, but I don't think this will be enough. What would I need to rent?

You're fine with what you have. Go get 'em!

Ron--

I have a T1i body and a backup 50mm lens, but I don't think this will be enough. What would I need to rent?

Sorry, I didn't see that part about the T1i. I would want a 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, at least one off camera flash and triggers for it. Keep in mind, those are what I would want and would consider renting them for the date and also possibly before to get used to them.

Ron--

Sorry, I didn't see that part about the T1i. I would want a 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, at least one off camera flash and triggers for it. Keep in mind, those are what I would want and would consider renting them for the date and also possibly before to get used to them.

Not to mention, the knowledge and ability to use all that gear. Be able to shoot confidently with flash in low light. Be able to anticipate the shots. Weddings truly intimidate me, and I don't know if I could ever photograph one.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron-

I didn't type in the part about the T1i.

I don't really know how to use off-camera flashes though.. But I guess I could learn?

DBJ; True. I need to rent an external flash for sure.. And learn to use it in time for the wedding. I'm only getting paid $100 though, so I'm basically doing the gig for free.

My wedding gear that I wouldn't leave home without D300s, D700, 24-80 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 11-16 2.8, 105mm 2.8 and 2 SB-900 speed lights. I'm a zoom girl but I used to bring my 50mm1.4 but I never found I used it. I'd rent at minimum the first two lenses I mentioned and 2 speed lights and leave the kit lens u have at home but take your prime lenses.

Do you PROMISE to share some photos from the gig?

Brent-- Sure. Although I feel that she was very foolish in hiring me as I am by no means a professional photographer..

Brent-- Sure. Although I feel that she was very foolish in hiring me as I am by no means a professional photographer..
You are one the second you're being paid for it.

If you're that apprehensive, you need to either back out or give the money back and say you're willing to shoot for free or not at all.

I would rent a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom lens for this event. If you know anybody who's an amateur photographer, see if you can get that person to come and "second shoot" for you. You sound like you're wayyyy to green for this gig, but hey...you gotta start somewhere. And I know weddings are supposed to be once-in-a-lifetime events, but these days...not so much...

I have no idea how much you know about photography, but you DO OWN a d-slr, so you can literally "see" if you are screwing things up, so use that to your advantage. Try and keep calm, and keep your wits about you. The single BIGGEST danger, I think, is sticking with too low of an ISO setting, and getting either dark, under-exposed frames, OR getting too slow a shutter speed over a long period of time, and thus coming up with blurry movement, or shaky camera syndrome; THAT is the reason for renting the 17-55mm f/2.8 Canon lens: so that you are NOT stuck with an 18-55mm f/3.5~5.6 lens that does not let in much light!

If worst comes to worst, set the ISO to 1,000 or 1,250 and fire away with the 18-55 and whatever T-series Canon you have.

Why did you accept this job? I'm a fairly experienced photographer and have done events and sports, but don't do studio work or weddings and I wouldn't take this on; I'd try to refer them to where/how they might be able to find wedding photographers. Like Ron said it's a one time event...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back