Shooting at night/creative images

riddle777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a Canon 7D, which was my first DSLR. I shoot about 50% video and 50% photos. I was curious if anyone could direct me to a great learning resource. I am confused on what lenses to get for what situations, what settings to use, shooting at night, getting a nice creative touch, and just the camera overall. I am slowly learning but would like to speed up the process with your help.

Thanks!

Primes--often a 1.8 to 2.8 aperture, fixed focal length, and oftentimes have SUPERB picture quality.

Standard zooms-say 17-55--just for your regular everyday situations.

Wide angle-10-20-- for when you want as much of the scene in one picture as possible.

Fisheye--also similar to wideangle, but they give you a circular aspect to your photos

Long zoom-300+mm-- often used for wildlife and subjects where you dont want to be close.

Canon has a line of f4 lenses, that are good for the average-photographer. They also make f2.8 versions, which are considered to be more of the "professional" lenses, and often cost ALOT!

If you are unsure what you want, rent a few, or go to a store and try them out. And READ as many articles and reviews as possibe.

I'm so extremely jealous that 7D is your first DSLR ... I saved my pennies and finally got a 50D (2nd DSLR ... 5th SLR)

Rage-fu-7D-as-first-DSLR-FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.jpg

In all seriousness, read. A lot. First off, read the manual or at least watch the introduction-dvd to your camera (if there's one). Google stuff, read the stickied threads in this section. That should provide you with all the basic information. Also visit this forum a lot, I'm here for like half a year, and I've learned A LOT through it.

My first DSLR as well! Had it for a few months now and still am in love. You mentioned interest in video... Learn directly from the King: Philip Bloom. His "Learn 2 Shoot Great Video On Your Canon 7D" is priceless and practical... He covers lenses, audio, lighting, actual config tweaks of the 7D for video, must-have gear and more.

I cannot recommend highly enough. Check out the works on his site if you need some inspiration: philipbloom.co.uk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back