Shooting authentic clothes

mortalhorse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me some usefeul advice about shooting authentic clothes! I am going to shoot kinds of these in one bulgarian village. Just for fun, no commercials reasons.

So I am looking for any advice you give me about photosession with or without people, lightning and how things could happen.

I shoot with
body: Nkon D3000;
lens: Tamron 18-200mm;

Thank you very much!

P.P.: sorry for the English:)

Greetings!

Get close to your subject. If some part of the costume is not interesting, ignore that part and highlight the parts that are interesting. If you have people's faces in the shot, make sure they are smiling or interacting with others. Use good light. Maybe your built-in flash if that is all you have, or at least some bright light on the clothing. Be sure to explain to the people what you want, and ask them to pose for you in a certain way. (toward the light, for instance)

Greetings!

Get close to your subject. If some part of the costume is not interesting, ignore that part and highlight the parts that are interesting. If you have people's faces in the shot, make sure they are smiling or interacting with others. Use good light. Maybe your built-in flash if that is all you have, or at least some bright light on the clothing. Be sure to explain to the people what you want, and ask them to pose for you in a certain way. (toward the light, for instance)

Thank you! It helped a lot! I use also a macro ring light. It could be in use.

Which is the best part from the day to be shooted (outside)?

Also, look for interesting backgrounds; parked cars, garbage cans, and other such things don't help the background, so look around and don't be shy about moving things to get a better background.

Generally the easiest time to shoot outside is early morning and evening when the sun is low in the sky. Consider using a reflector (something as simple as a piece of white stiff card will work) to get light onto faces and into eyes if they are visible in the image.

I use also a macro ring light. It could be in use.
Your macro ring light will eliminate shadows which is called "flat" light, which is not the best kind of flash for your purposes. (works well for macro)

As tirediron wrote; try to use light coming from the side. Use the sunlight when the sun is low in the sky, and a reflector (could be something large and white held by someone else) off to one side, if possible. The reflector could be something as simple as a man wearing a white shirt standing just out of the frame so the light is reflected into the faces of your subjects.

Mornings and afternoons are better light than midday sunlight.

Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me some usefeul advice about shooting authentic clothes! I am going to shoot kinds of these in one bulgarian village. Just for fun, no commercials reasons.

So I am looking for any advice you give me about photosession with or without people, lightning and how things could happen.

I shoot with
body: Nkon D3000;
lens: Tamron 18-200mm;

Thank you very much!

P.P.: sorry for the English:)

Your first effort should be, IMO, learning how to open up to people so they will open up to you.

Next, decided whether you want candid shots or posed shots. Candid shots typically require you become as invisible to your subjects as possible. This might mean you use a less obtrusive lens than your zoom. A "pancake" lens will make your camera appear smaller and less intimidating to your subjects.

Posed shots require you interact with your subjects. Be friendly ... naturally ... and be respectful of the setting and the culture.

If you are shooting during, say, a parade or festival where these clothes will be one display, try to plan your day as much as possible in advance. (Carry an extra battery.)

Study the topic; http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips/portrait-photography-tips/

"Posed" does not mean you remove all interaction between subjects from your shot. Bringing the culture which created the clothing into photo will provide some context. Don't limit your shots to only clothing.

Realize you are not shooting a clothing catalog. At times, excluding bits and pieces from the actual frame will allow the viewer to fill in details by way of their knowledge or imagination.

Mix your shots. Diversity in your "style" keeps the viewer interested. The more you make each shot unique in its pose or angle or distance from the subject, the more you hold the viewer's interest and encourage them to look at the next photo and the next until they are finally disappointed when there are no more.

Understand f-stop and camera to subject distance to make certain subjects "POP" out and away from the background.

Most of all, enjoy yourself and don't work too hard at getting things just right. Your shots shouldn't take more than a few short seconds to set up and capture.

Always ask permission to take a photo of anyone but particularly children.

Shoot in RAW capture to provide the most flexibility in editing. Frame loosely and crop afterwards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back