Shooting Ducks...

Sigma 85mm 1.4 @1.4 on D700

Geez. I have a hard enough time getting close to ducks with a 400mm. I'm guessing these guys are pretty tame.

I don't really know anything about ducks tbh, but I presume these are fairly tame. This was my second time visiting these ducks as I was only there to scout a few locations for a portrait session but thought I might as well get a few duck shot's while I was there.
The first time I went there I couldn't get anywhere near them, every time I went to get close enough to take pictures with an 85 they all quacked and swam off to the opposite side of the water, every single time. I was about to give up, when one duck who seemed to be excluded by the other ducks, allowed to to gradually get closer. Below is the Duck in question.
oxfordshire-portrait-photography-0189.jpg

However this time I was there, they seemed a bit more relaxed as if they recognised me, I made a few friendly noises (I don't know why but I made a leopard noise that I saw in a documentary), and a few of them seem to swim over to see what the noise was about, then I noticed a couple of ducks basking and I gradually got closer and closer, until I was close enough that I reached the minimum focus distance on my lens (approx 80cm).

Most reactions

Back