Shooting Hot Rods in Mrmphis need advice

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to Memphis for my anniversary in May. There is a Hot Rod show on Beale St. I have never taken photos of cars. It is in the late afternoon and night. Any advice is welcome. I am worried about using the flash at night and getting reflections.

If there is enough light to allow it a CPL helps a great deal with unwanted reflections. Show cars are usually highly polished and reflections are everywhere.

A good diffuser on a speedlight also helps a great deal.

Look for details and unusual views. I've shot a lot of car shows and of all my shots my personal favorites are the detail shots. Reflections of other cars in chrome, emblems and logos, injectors and blowers, things like that are to me more interesting than the overall car sometimes.

Respect the effort that went into them. I don't think I've ever been to a car show that I didn't see someone leaning on one of the cars to get a better look. I never, ever, touch anything at all.

Don't forget to watch the people. Sometimes the most interesting thing at a car show is the people looking at them.

Don't forget to have fun!

Thank you, Scott for the advice. I got a CPL and diffuser for the light. Never thought about reflections. I will have fun! I will post them. If anyone interested it is on May 28th.

Besides what Scott said I try to get down low when shooting a car for perspective. I put one knee down and hand hold with a flash.

I agree with Rick.
I shoot a lot of Jeeps, I dont normally have to get down to shoot them at a level perspective because of the height of the vehicle but I find images that are on the same plane to be much more appealing.
Like Scott said also, often times the details and parts of the vehicle are much more interesting and appealing than the entire thing.

And take a wide angle with you, that way you can get closer and eliminate distractions that you would get by having to be farther back.

Wow, this wonderful advice! Never even thought of getting down low. Thank you!

Definitely get low, get wide, and use a tripod to steady those longer exposures as the sun goes down.

Here's a picture I took downtown a few months ago. It's a crummy, poorly-exposed shot taken at a bad time of day, but it's just to show you what an ultra-wide angle lens can do for your perspective.

12mm, f/4, 1/60th, ISO 100

Shot from about 2-feet off the ground and about a foot away from the car with a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens ($450 brand new).

$DSC_0120.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back