Shooting in the rain?

Babs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This may be a completely stupid question, but ... are lenses waterproof? :scratch:

Autumn has hit with full force and I'm missing being able to get out to take pictures on hideously rainy days. I don't mind wrapping up to keep dry but are lenses water- and weather-proof?! Or will I damage them if I try to snap in the rain?

Thanks for indulging a noob! :)

I'm not quite sure about the different seals and stuff on the different lenses that you use but I would be safe and pick up some rain covers on amazon for your camera. There are some really awesome covers out there that cover your camera body and lens to make sure they don't get destroyed. I would also look into a lens hood for your lens that you want to shoot with to see about keeping some of the rain off the glass of your lens.

Brilliant! Thank you :)

I was looking at lens hoods but they only seemed to cover the lens (dur!) hence my question as I was concerned about the other "workings" of the lens. Now I know what I'm looking for!

Thanks for your help.

None of the lenses on your sig are water resistant. Some of Canons L lenses are but not all of them. Regardless even the ones that are sealed are resistant and not waterproof. So i would definately invest in some rain sleeves. ou can buy cheap ones from Op Tech for 6 bucks you get 2 and they are good for a few shoots. Your body is also prone to rain probably more than your lenses are so go get a few sleeves and grab some great rainy shots.

When I went to shoot TS Earl when it came close to new england, I just took a 1 gal ziplock baggie, cut a hole the right size for my UV filter then duct taped the bag to the filter. It worked well.

However, I learned the hard way that rain on your front element doesn't really effect the photo too much. Rain on a filter that's 1/2"-3/4" from your front element does effect the shot a lot.

Ended up with this photo. It wasn't raining here, but I had been standing shooting in the rain for nearly an hour.

Charlestown Beach, Waves from Hurricane Earl by ben_long_hair, on Flickr

A non-lubricated condom with the resevior snipped off & stretched beyond the front element. Just ask the pharmacist for the OMG size...... well, I have to for my gear. :biggrin:

A non-lubricated condom with the resevior snipped off & stretched beyond the front element. Just ask the pharmacist for the OMG size...... well, I have to for my gear. :biggrin:

:lmao: this is awesome. lol

LOL! :lmao:

Most reactions

Back