Shooting in the shade- having problems with my dynamic range

What's your subject? I'm guessing some interesting root patterns in the shaded area (center) of your image. It seems you have exposed well enough for the bright parts of the image, but the shadows are not your friend here. The only workable solution that I can see is exposure bracketing. You will need to work out what the correct exposure is for the shadows (subject) and then the difference for the highlights. This could be 3 shots, 5 shots or 9 shots (IDK) and then merge them together in your editing software. Your camera probably can't take on board that significant difference of dynamic range in one shot. Of course, you could light it up with multiple strobes........

I see "Auto Bracket" is listed. Could you be taking one shot that's underexposed, then the next one is OK, and the third would end up overexposed?

If you're shooting only landscapes, architecture and similar things (understand "not moving objects"), use either HDR with a tripod or a graduated density filter as Railphotog suggested.
Both of these have their place, but they're not always the answer. If you look at the image that the OP has linked to, I don't think either a G-ND or HDR would have solved that. The only solution I can see is more light.

What's your subject? I'm guessing some interesting root patterns in the shaded area (center) of your image. It seems you have exposed well enough for the bright parts of the image, but the shadows are not your friend here. The only workable solution that I can see is exposure bracketing. You will need to work out what the correct exposure is for the shadows (subject) and then the difference for the highlights. This could be 3 shots, 5 shots or 9 shots (IDK) and then merge them together in your editing software. Your camera probably can't take on board that significant difference of dynamic range in one shot. Of course, you could light it up with multiple strobes........
Do you really think an HDR would work on that drastic a dynamic range without looking like a bad cartoon? It's pretty much zone 0 to 6 or 7.

Do you really think an HDR would work on that drastic a dynamic range without looking like a bad cartoon? It's pretty much zone 0 to 6 or 7.
Not really, but it was thought on a Saturday night at 9:30pm with a 1.75L of Jose in the freezer that is NOT full. :lol:

Not really, but it was thought on a Saturday night at 9:30pm with a 1.75L of Jose in the freezer that is NOT full. :lol:
:lmao: You're having a better Saturday night than I am... I've got a mug of luke-warm tea on the coffee table and that's about as good as it gets.

Most reactions

Back