Shooting in the snow

JDRoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I am going out camping this weekend and taking my camera. Since it is northern midwest I suspect there is a good chance of it snowing. Is there a way to take pictures while its snowing. I am not talking about composition or don't use the flash because it will reflect off of the snowflakes but rather I am talking about the safety of my camera. Other than the risk of falling, what are the risks, how can I minimize those risks or should I just not do it?

Hey guys. I am going out camping this weekend and taking my camera. Since it is northern midwest I suspect there is a good chance of it snowing. Is there a way to take pictures while its snowing. I am not talking about composition or don't use the flash because it will reflect off of the snowflakes but rather I am talking about the safety of my camera. Other than the risk of falling, what are the risks, how can I minimize those risks or should I just not do it?

I always use flash when shooting in the snow. Almost impossible to get a proper exposure without fill lighting.

As for the safety of the camera. A moderate amount of snow should not harm anything, if it gets excessive, a zip lock bag or some other plastic bag over the body helps.

p!nK

Your going to need a body condom.

Full%20Body%20Condom-thumb-275x321-thumb-300x350.jpg

I can't really help but the thought popped into my head and I laughed and had to do it. Hope you understand, id be interested to hear real answers as well.

Batteries don't last as long when they are cold.
Swap em' and keep them in your inner coat pocket to help them last.

True about the batteries. However, I went to China last January (it was cold as .....) and bought an extra battery but never even killed one in a day, and we were out all day and night every day for two weeks. I took about 2000 photos. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, lol.

So the camera body will be fine in light to moderate snow? Really? Isn't moisture hard on the camera?

Most snow is dry, and your camera will be cold, so, the snow won't stick.

You need to have your camera climatized. Meaning don't bring your warm camera from the cabin into the freezing cold, and start using it.

Keep it in a ziploc bag, and let it get cold. Same for bringing it back in to the warmth. Remember cold air hold less moisture (humidity) and warm air holds more. Make sure all snow is off before you put it in the bag.

^I had mine out in the moderate snowfall on Sunday and Monday and I haven't suffered any ill effects. I cut a large Ziplock open and just poked my lens out of it for a while, but the bag got all foggy from my hands so the camera was exposed to moisture anyway, so I took it off.

the only time I was a little worried was bringing it in from outside...condensation, but it didn't do anything so...

the only time I was a little worried was bringing it in from outside...condensation, but it didn't do anything so...

Save yourself a "little worry", and chuck it in a ziploc.

So it survived once, so you think it is ok to do it on a regular basis?
Better safe than sorry.

To build on Bitter Jeweler's advice, the camera bag, with it's foam padding, works well for allowing the camera to gradually change temperature. Either going out into the cold, or coming in from the cold, let the camera hang out in the bag for an hour or so before exposing it to the new temperature.

Better safe than sorry.

The first time I shot in the cold I got a ton of condensation on the lens when I brought it back inside. Tried using a ziploc the next time when I brought it in and it was fine.

Better safe than sorry.

The first time I shot in the cold I got a ton of condensation on the lens when I brought it back inside. Tried using a ziploc the next time when I brought it in and it was fine.

How can we prevent condensation on the lens when we bring the camera back inside?

Would keeping it in the camera bag for an hour as "Infidel" said, be suffice?

Better safe than sorry.

How can we prevent condensation on the lens when we bring the camera back inside?

Would keeping it in the camera bag for an hour as "Infidel" said, be suffice?

It worked for me yeah

Most reactions

Back