Shooting my first model mayhem today

Nice overall. But there's always another pair of eyes that sees slightly different, init?

#1 - The left hand has been amputated. The lanyard is there doing something, but as a viewer, it adds nothing. You have blow outs on top of her head and harmonica. The background is overexposed on the right side of the frame. The pickup truck is distracting. You have nice focus on the eyes, well done. It looks as if you have the flash mounted on the hotshoe judging by the shadow on her nose and you turned the camera in portrait orientation because the catch light in the right eye is at about 7:00 o'clock.

Possible remedies for next time: For bright sunny conditions such as this, a diffuser will be a godsend. If you can't get an assistant, perhaps look into a 8' to 10' tall stand with an arm to hold a reflector/diffuser. You'll want some counterweights to avoid having the rig blow over.
Under expose the background and let your flash light the subject.
Get a synch cord for the SB600 so that you can position the flash other than on the lens axis.

#2 - Again a diffuser would've helped by evening out the exposure on the face (left cheek). Similar comments about under exposing the background. I would clone out (content aware in CS5) the ghost bokeh left of frame near her face. Also remove the stray strands of hair on her chest. Again, very nice focus on the eyes.

She is very pretty and I think you did a nice job of it. The more you do it under less than ideal situations, the more confidence you'll have to go into auto mode........ errr, I mean your brain, not the gear. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back