Shooting People.

RKRAMOS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm doing my first person photography session with a friend of mine, these are going to be for her senior portraits so I want to give her the best shots I can. As far as locations, I only have one in mind, a Botanical Garden, where are some other good places to do a shoot for a senior portrait? Also tips on how to properly take photo's of a person will be extremely appreciated since this will be my first time.

Thanks everyone,
Rick.

something more urban... go to a big city or something.

Or at least a downtown area. The closest big city to me has all of 30,000 people, but downtown there are plenty of old doorways and alleys to use as backgrounds/props.

Key #1 for shooting people is use of light. The eyes are important and are usually used as the point of focus. You want to avoid dark eye sockets.
Use as long a focal length lens as you can. For urban and outdoor venues I rarely used less than 100 mm for focal length.

Will you have any assistants to hold/point lighting/reflectors/etc?

Last edited:
No, it'll just be me, we live in a small town area so no big cities around, we do have an "old fashion" looking downtown I might be able to get some photo's but how would I go about doing that? Maybe, old doorways?

I'm doing my first person photography session with a friend of mine, these are going to be for her senior portraits so I want to give her the best shots I can. As far as locations, I only have one in mind, a Botanical Garden, where are some other good places to do a shoot for a senior portrait? Also tips on how to properly take photo's of a person will be extremely appreciated since this will be my first time.

Thanks everyone,
Rick.

This is something that you should ask your friend. Senior pics are supposed to be personal and some what of a reflection of the person in this current time in their life. What is she into? What would be a cool location to her?

+1 for urban, easier for a beginner to get good shots than in a park.
Have fun most of all.
Choose your backgrounds first, think of the background as your frame, then place her into the frame and interact with her to get her to look natural and then click when she looks good.
Shoot with natural light expose for the face, open you f-stop up as far as it will go and then back off one so you can blur the background and get some separation.

This is something that you should ask your friend. Senior pics are supposed to be personal and some what of a reflection of the person in this current time in their life. What is she into? What would be a cool location to her?
The only thing she can think of is the gardens, she was the one who originally brought up the idea.

+1 for urban, easier for a beginner to get good shots than in a park.
Have fun most of all.
Choose your backgrounds first, think of the background as your frame, then place her into the frame and interact with her to get her to look natural and then click when she looks good.
Shoot with natural light expose for the face, open you f-stop up as far as it will go and then back off one so you can blur the background and get some separation.
Will definitely keep this in mind while I'm out.

The only thing she can think of is the gardens, she was the one who originally brought up the idea.

Then go there first. Take a few shots and see what you think. I like urban setting too. Remember if you use a large aperture lots of the pic will be blurry so you dont have to have a great urban setting. Just some bricks and mortar and some cool details.

Train tracks are always acceptable for senior pics too.

The first commissioned shoot I ever did was a senior shoot of my friend, so I understand your circumstances completely!

I would start off by doing what DiskoJoe suggested; get to know your friends tastes and preferences. What is the look she is going for? Does she play and sports or instruments that she wants included in some shots? Those are important questions to ask.

One thing that I found to be VERY helpful is to do "pre-shoot homework". Go to this old fashioned down-town district and look around. Find places that would provide great backgrounds and think about different angles and shots you could take at those locations. I like to actually photograph different locations around town so I can remember how they look and "pre-plan" some of my shots. It wastes less time during the actual photoshoot, and makes you look more prepared and professional.

Look for things like interesting siding, brick walls, fire escapes, wooden/stone stairs, peeling paint, old-fashioned windows or door frames, etc. Train tracks are also frequently used in the "senior portrait" realm. In my town, we actually have an old stationary train that alot of kids like to get their senior pictures taken on. Just try to think outside the box. Another thing I have found helpful is to search around on local photographers blogs/websites at their senior sessions; use as inspiration. You can get ideas for locations, poses, etc., but of course don't go to the same locations and do the same poses. Just use as reference and to get ideas.

The first commissioned shoot I ever did was a senior shoot of my friend, so I understand your circumstances completely!

I would start off by doing what DiskoJoe suggested; get to know your friends tastes and preferences. What is the look she is going for? Does she play and sports or instruments that she wants included in some shots? Those are important questions to ask.

One thing that I found to be VERY helpful is to do "pre-shoot homework". Go to this old fashioned down-town district and look around. Find places that would provide great backgrounds and think about different angles and shots you could take at those locations. I like to actually photograph different locations around town so I can remember how they look and "pre-plan" some of my shots. It wastes less time during the actual photoshoot, and makes you look more prepared and professional.

Look for things like interesting siding, brick walls, fire escapes, wooden/stone stairs, peeling paint, old-fashioned windows or door frames, etc. Train tracks are also frequently used in the "senior portrait" realm. In my town, we actually have an old stationary train that alot of kids like to get their senior pictures taken on. Just try to think outside the box. Another thing I have found helpful is to search around on local photographers blogs/websites at their senior sessions; use as inspiration. You can get ideas for locations, poses, etc., but of course don't go to the same locations and do the same poses. Just use as reference and to get ideas.
I'll talk to her tonight, I know she plays soccer...and that's about it. What other things should I take into consideration? I'll try to make it down there before we shoot. It's going to be difficult, if anything she's very patient and I'm sure she wont mind walking around for a little while.

What kind of music does she like? What is her favorite thing to do around town? Definitely ask if she wants to get a shot in her soccer uniform. Definitely get a shot in her letter jacket if she has one. The parents will love that. Think about the parents and family. That is who she will be sharing this with more then say her friends. Have at least a one glam shots. Outfits would be key. You dont want anything to busy.

Here's a specific, not very helpful trick to use:

Shoot in the shade and have her face directed towards a bright, open space. You'll get those "lights" in the eyes everyone loves.

EVERYTHING can be a good backdrop. The best backgrounds are usually in the middle of completely ugly and sometimes scary. Beautiful is usually the first thought... You don't need a beautiful location, you just need something interesting!

might want to give the botanical garden a call as well. around here allot of those type places won't allow portrait tye photowork without a permit or fee or permission.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back