Shooting RAW and getting them into photoshop?

Brotage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I know how to change it so I can take pictures in RAW, but once I put my card in the card reader I have no idea what to do. I know I can't save anything in RAW.

just thought of this... But could I just open PS and go to file > open > and find my card reader and open the images from there? or is there some easier way to do this?

I use a program called picasa It's free. You can do easy photo adjustments with it, it is a great photo organizer and it will auto download your files from your cam & computer into it. It will let you store Raw files in it and you can then drag it from there 2 PS. It will not save your pics in raw after you have modified it, It turns it into jpeg. But if you leave them they will stay RAW

I actually do have picasa... picasa2 or whatever.. anyway I can get them on there just cant get them into PS.

Why don't you just put them in a folder in "my pictures"? In "my pictures" I have a folder called "RAWs", that's where all of my RAWs are... ;)

ok well it might be different on your computer but picasa stores my pics in my pictures on my computer . So If i want to PS I open PS then click on file/new/documents/my pictures/then the folder where you keep the pic you want. click on the pic and it brings it into PS.

I import all raw files to Lightroom as Digital Negative (.DNG) and I open them simply by right click > edit in photoshop CS3.

Ok, made a folder with the in it named RAWS and when I tried to open it a little sign comes up that says "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

any help?

What program are you trying to open them with? Are you just double-clicking? (If so, your computer might not know what program to use...)

i have no idea why your having problems? But right click on the image select properties,it will say type of file arw the it will say under it opens with the in that box your looking for Image data converter. click on it and it will change the format 2 jpeg.

Ok, I plug the card reader in with the card, a little window pops up and I choose picasa. After there in there I clicked import all or something like that and made a new folder names RAW.

Then I went to PS (CS2) file > open > and went to the folder, I click on the one I want and it says that.

also, when I put my mouse over the pics it says "CR2 file" shouldn't it just say RAW file?

I checked my camera to make sure im not an idiot and theres a big RAW square in the bottom left of the LCD. so im pretty sure im shooting RAW (XTi)

Ok it sounds like you have CS2 as your default pic browser instead of windows fax and pic viewer. I think!@#$ok lets say your pics are in my pictures. open the file right click select open with then select CS2 i just did it with a raw file ARW and it worked fine

also, when I put my mouse over the pics it says "CR2 file" shouldn't it just say RAW file?
That's normal. .CR2 is the Canon file extension for their RAWs, I think each camera manufacturer has their own file extension they like to use.

...Not really sure what the problem could be though...

I agree with sideburns, Lightroom is a great program. Lightroom makes using RAW super easy and the organization is amazing along with the ease of exporting to PS.

Ok my brother was trying to figure it out..

he said that our PS (CS2) is outdated for the camera model.. XTi.. and it cant read the XTi RAW files... I don't think this is right but he said he's gonna fix it, so we'll see..

he said that our PS (CS2) is outdated for the camera model.. XTi.. and it cant read the XTi RAW files... I don't think this is right but he said he's gonna fix it, so we'll see..
I kinda doubt that, but I don't have CS2 so how knows...
Did you check for updates (for CS2)?

Most reactions

Back