Shooting RAW, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by luvmyfamily, Mar 23, 2012.

1. luvmyfamily

luvmyfamily TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've considered shooting RAW vs. Jpeg. Thoughts? Is this a poor excuse for fixing image issues as obviously RAW has more PP capabilities? Or should you just get it right the first time in Jpeg?

2. Judobreaker

Judobreaker TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    RAW > JPG.

Always.

JPG simply means your camera will shoot a RAW and process it for you.
    Automatic processing is done by general settings which the manufacturer thought most people would like in most cases.
    RAW means you have full control over the processing, enabling you to go about it your own way and not in the way some programmer did it.

3. luvmyfamily

luvmyfamily TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you, I get conflicting advice on here at times. I am told you should "get it right the first time," that "PP is a way to enhance an image, not to fix issues." Just as some people enjoy curling up reading a book on a rainy day, I enjoy PP and find it therapeuatic....that's just me.

4. Judobreaker

Judobreaker TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Every good image is post processed in some way. ^^
    I believe people telling you to get it completely correct in camera have too little experience with post processing.
    Sharpening, slight contrast changes, noise reduction... All part of post processing. Shooting in JPG just lets the camera do those for you, the image will still be post processed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I Shoot RAW always...

Note: The quality of the JPG images out of camera are highly dependent on the camera. I have one camera that has earned a good reputation for JPG's so I tried it one time for just snapshots while out and about. It was pretty nice considering zero time to process. Still... I will most likely shoot raw exclusively.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fact of the matter is: Everyone shoots raw. Yes, it's true. Every image starts out as raw. The difference is whether you choose to save it as jpeg only by using the in-camera conversion.

It's really a matter of whether you choose to save the raw data, or let some engineer in some far-away land who has no interest in how you images are rendered perform the jpeg conversion for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. luvmyfamily

luvmyfamily TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know a lot of GREAT photographers but really stink at PP.....just sayn.... ;)

8. Trever1t

Trever1t Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those that shoot jpg (only) just don't understand clearly. There are times when shooting jpg might be of benefit, rapid fire sports or simple snapshots but otherwise it's RAW.

• Like Like x 3
  9. luvmyfamily

luvmyfamily TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Because RAW files sizes are large, if you were doing a photo session, (I did a senior and had 198 images after the session) I am assuming I would need to carry an extra card for space? I have shot RAW before but not for an entire session.

10. davidchurch

davidchurch TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A friend recommened this to me.

If your camera has the capability to capture RAW and JPEG at the same time use this mode, then PP the RAW image yourself and compare it to the JPEG which the camera converted for you, then your mind will be made.

However, I try not to be ridgid, I shoot RAW most of the time but their are times when i choose JPEG, if I'm uploading straight to the web, need the image in a rush or casually shooting the family I choose jpeg because I don't want to spend days converting all my images one by one, but if your a PP junkie then you could knock yourself out.

11. Joey_Ricard

Joey_Ricard TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is in your best interest to do as much as you can to capture the image as you intend it to be
    This can be directly related to using filters, fill lighting etc etc while shooting.

With that said, it is still better to be able to make any adjustments "easier and cleaner" after the fact with a Raw file then it is to only have a predisposed JPG file.
    Sure, you can do what you want, but with Raw, you absolutely have more control.

Sure, sometimes I don't shoot raw - (for outdoor festivals in good light, races, etc etc) where I know my exposure is not a challenge, but for low light, night and unpredictable lighting conditions and especially early and late sun and fog Raw is a great thing to have.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I shoot raw. Always. If you need more memory to make this happen the buy extra cards and a external hard drive.