Shooting Slot Canyons

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is NOT a photo assignment. However, I'm looking for technical advice about a situation/location that is likely to provide technical challenges. In a couple of months I've got a vacation that I'll be taking in Arizona. Plus later on it looks like I'll be visiting Utah (for family reasons). Northern Arizona and Southern Utah are home to some superb slot canyons. The most famous is probably Upper Antelope Canyon in Arizona File:USA Antelope-Canyon.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never shot in a slot canyon before. I assume standard rules for shooting in the west (about mid-day is often too bright and glaring) are the opposite for a slot canyon (b/c in the morning and later afternoon the slot canyon is probably all shadow). I've also been told that they tend to be dusty (so don't plan on swapping out lens while you're in a slot canyon). But what other technical advice can people offer about shooting in a slot canyon?

I love Page, AZ. I shot some of the slot canyons there and absolutely loved it:
The American Southwest | David Dat Nguyen Photography

Here are some tips that I would have for you:
- Use a wide angle lens (for most of my shots, I was using Canon's 17-40 f/4L)
- Using a tripod is tricky, but it will make a lot of your shots better. There are some places with low light, so you might need to open up the exposure especially if you want to do any of the beam shots.
- I would advise you to not switch out your lenses, even though I have seen it happen.
- Crank up your ISO - some places are really dark.
- The light changes as you walk through the slot canyons, so be sure that when you are walking back to the entrance, your camera is still out. It is more beautiful and colorful later on in the day, but that doesn't mean that you should get a late start.
- Upper Antelope Canyon is more known for the rays of light, Lower Antelope Canyon is better known for the amazing colors. Shoot both! :)

Let me know if you have any more questions - more than happy to help!

Most reactions

Back