Tips For Shooting in Winter and Cold Freaking Weather

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere who don't live in Florida or California, we're starting to get freezing temps, possible snow and ice in the not too distant future. So I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to contribute tips/advice for shooting in snow, ice, and just generally freaky cold weather.

I'll start us off. First, here's a nice article put out by the Affinity Photo folks about shooting in winter: How to shoot incredible winter photography - Affinity Spotlight

Second, microfibre cloths are your friend. When you go from a warm card to a very cold outdoors. Or a cold outside to a warm and humid botanical center or studio, you're going to have condensation or fog on your lens. So make it a point to always carry a couple of the buggers. The last 3 shoots I've had that involved either going from warm to cold, or cold to warm, I've had other photographers nearby cursing their condensation or fogging up and I pulled out a spare microfibre cloth for them to use and then said "keep it--I've got about 50 of them" (I do) and made a new friend.

If you ever have the opportunity to go out on the ice for pregame festivities before a hockey game, try to not fall on your a$% in front of 6-7000 people. (I didn't.) Learn to walk on ice while carrying a camera and pray to the hockey gods (first time I did I remember thinking, please just don't let me fall out there...) because they don't roll out carpet for the photographers. I realize that's for indoor sports in the cold! but that's what I got.

I may be in Calif, but it ain't warm in the SF Bay Area.
When I shot the last football game last Fri, I was wearing thermals under my jeans, and 6 layers on top, and I was still cold. I had to go to the bathroom and warm my hands under the heated hand dryer. And it wasn't winter, yet. :(
In the Winter sport season (starting soon), when shooting soccer at night in the wind, the ambient temp sometimes feels like it drops down into the 40s.
One of these days I have to bring a thermometer to the field to see how cold it really is.
But I don't know how to measure wind chill.​

SPARE BATTERIES!
They only last 1/4 as long as when warm. Keep the spares in a warm place next to your body. Replacing cold batteries with cold batteries won't help much.

When you come cack home from being out in the cold. Leave your camera alone. Just let it warm up. The fogging lens and screen won't hurt it however rubbing the lens because you clean the fog off 100 times a year drastically increases your chance of scratching the coatings.

Dress warmer than you think you'll need. You can always take a layer off but you can't put on what you don't have.
HAND WARMERS! I give away at least 20 of these every year. I also have battery powered hand warmers that are on in my coat pocket.

In short.
The camera will be fine. Don't screw with it unless you need to.
You on the other hand need more attention. You can't take a great shot while shivering in the cold.

Long johns. Gloves with removable finger and thumb tips. Hat & scarf. Warm boots for feet. Three large zip lock bags, one for your micro fiber towels, one for transporting your camera out of the cold & into the warm. One for extra batteries. Spot meter for snow and shadow. Flash can be very helpful if there is a lot of snow reflections. You can shoot manual, meter for snow, flash for fill.

The ziplock bag is ideal to prevent fungus in your camera and lens. It will eliminate condensation. Give it a little time to adjust to warmer temperature.

Pretty much the same as when hunting. Dress warm with layers that can be removed or added back. Let your camera gear acclimate to extreme temperature differences. If I'm going to be sitting in a stand for a period of time I have battery powered electric socks. Walking in insulated boots causes sweat, when you sit, it can quickly cause cold feet. I also have a very small Coleman catalytic heater that will sit between my legs in a stand. It provides just enough heat (unless it's really windy) to take the chill off.

If you ever have the opportunity to go out on the ice for pregame festivities before a hockey game, try to not fall on your a$% in front of 6-7000 people. (I didn't.) Learn to walk on ice while carrying a camera and pray to the hockey gods (first time I did I remember thinking, please just don't let me fall out there...) because they don't roll out carpet for the photographers. I realize that's for indoor sports in the cold! but that's what I got.

I ran into a similar situation at our local wildlife sanctuary. Some of their trails that cross swamps have boardwalks (not always level). I went for an early morning shoot and ran into the "bridge freezes before roadway" phenomenon. I almost ended up in the swamp.:02.47-tranquillity:

I like winter shooting as long as it's dry I can handle the cold.................

Pretty much the same as when hunting. Dress warm with layers that can be removed or added back. Let your camera gear acclimate to extreme temperature differences. If I'm going to be sitting in a stand for a period of time I have battery powered electric socks. Walking in insulated boots causes sweat, when you sit, it can quickly cause cold feet. I also have a very small Coleman catalytic heater that will sit between my legs in a stand. It provides just enough heat (unless it's really windy) to take the chill off.
What about GoreTex waterproofing. Do they allow breathing in insulated boots?

What about GoreTex waterproofing. Do they allow breathing in insulated boots?

I used to deer hunt, till my cold tolerance left. Nothing I found would keep my feet completely dry walking to my stand. Then between the moisture, freezing temperatures, and lack of blood flow from sitting for hours, the feet would feel like ice cubes. The battery powered socks really helped, as did the little catalytic heater, unless the wind was blowing. When you're 20' up in an open stand with the wind blowing, nothing worked. Now when I go out with the camera early it's usually at or just after daylight and I'm moving more then sitting.

I have added to my collection some of those inco pads you can put on the bed. Brill for sitting on, placing camera bag, kit on . Keeps you and you kit off the damp wet seat,floor, whatever. At this time leaf mulch can be messy these sheets are cheap and have lots of use in the field even to put the lackey boots on when you get home

Some time back an outfit started selling neoprene lens covers in camouflage and other assorted colors.
Talking with a wildlife shooter, he told me that they are invaluable on lenses because the protect from extreme cold and sleet as well as take some of the impact off the lens if dropped.

Not a be all end all but great insurance. keeps the mud and snow off also.

Some time back an outfit started selling neoprene lens covers in camouflage and other assorted colors.
Talking with a wildlife shooter, he told me that they are invaluable on lenses because the protect from extreme cold and sleet as well as take some of the impact off the lens if dropped.

Not a be all end all but great insurance. keeps the mud and snow off also.
Now that makes sense of something here. I have a lens hood that has camo sleeve stuck on it. Bought lens used and have wondered why. Now I know

Also, I want to strongly recommend ProMaster photo gloves. Very warm but the thumb and index finger tips slip to the side for those times you absolutely need maximum dexterity. Did a shoot at Conowingo Dam pre-sunrise with a stiff breeze and temps (without the windchill) in the low 30s--my hands were the warmest part of my body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back