Shooting Snowflakes - Looking for Feedback

Hysteria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, guys. I was walking around one evening not too long ago and I saw an opportunity for a photo. I changed the mode of my camera to `Snow` in order to optimize the colour and texture of the snow, but I forgot that the flash always switches on when I change the mode. I took some pictures and after reviewing, I realized that using flash while snow is falling catches the snowflakes in a somewhat bokeh state.

Anyway, I am pretty satisfied with these snapshots so I wanted to see what you guys think. Do you have any advice for me? How could I have improved the quality of this image? Is there any technique I could have used to improve anything?

Now, I am still beginning here, so I do know that these snapshots are nowhere near `awesome` status, I'm simply doing what I can to get criticism.

Photo:

$Photos__0032.jpg$Photos__0020.jpg

Specs:

Camera: Kodak EasyShare C180 (pretty bad camera, I know, but I'm stuck with it for now...)
MPs: 10.2
Mode: Snow
Flash: On
Focus: The lamp to the right of the frame
ISO: Auto

Put your camera on a tripod, go to manual exposure/ISO and turn the danged flash off. You will end up with a long exposure and will not see the snowflakes falling, but you will get nice sharp details in the lightpost with the snow better exposed. Also, experiment with the white balance setting,start with incandescent and move through tungsten, at a minimum set it to shady and have a consistent result to work on from image to image.

I disagree somewhat...If I wanted to take a snapshot of the snow falling at night I'd want to see the snow. To capture it you'd have to use flash, otherwise you wouldn't see it or it would look like rain falling.

I took a snap of a recent snowfall. Some snow appears as falling upside down, however, probably due to flash capture and slower shutter. (In hindsight, I wish I would have made some foot tracks beside the hemlocks to add some interest.) I also did a color adjustment in Irfanview to cool it down. Not the best results of course but it's just a snap:

1/60 sec., f/8 aperature priority, 200 ISO

$DSC_1694_6.jpg

Hey, Tony S, thanks for the suggestion. I actually took one more without flash because I know how it is forbidden in the photography world. It doesn't look much greater than the two with snowflakes, and in my opinion it looks much more boring because there are no snowflakes visible, but everything is a little brighter. I've been considering buying a tripod, however it would most likely only be used for still-life shoots, as I tend to just whip out my camera when I see an opportunity and carrying a tripod around everywhere without a planned shot is a tad awkward. However, I at least make sure that I'm actually trying to take a photograph, not just a snapshot. Eventually, once I've developed some decent skills and understandings, I want to invest in a Nikon D5100, how does that sound?

FanBoy, I agree with you about the snow being visible. Unfortunately, this seems to be a situation in which you can't have the best of both worlds... So, my solution is to just shoot some with flash, and some without. After all, a 2TB EHDD and a 16GB USB provide me with more than enough memory to hold all of the pictures! If need be, I'll just use some CDs to store them all ;)

Here's the photo without the snow, feel free to give advice on this one as well.

$Photos__0021.jpg

The light is a bit too shiny, I think... But I do like the orange colour it gives the scene :)

I actually took one more without flash because I know how it is forbidden

What is forbidden? Flash? If that is what you meant no it's not forbidden, but if you are going to use it then it needs to be done right.

If your intent is to show falling snow, then you would need flash to do it, but you need to know how to set it. Find the exposure for the scene you want to catch, have the flash pointed so it only lights the falling snow (not the bushes in front of you), and then a key important part is to use second curtain sync so any motion/blurring of the snow flake looks like it has a natural downward movement, not an upside down one. It also would help to have the flash off the camera so you don't get reflections from the snow crystals bouncing right back at the camera giving ghost like images. It's tricky because you want to balance the ambient light on the snow on the ground but light the falling snow enough with flash to stop it's movement.

Edit added: I don't think your EasyShare will do the second curtain sync.

Yeah, considering the EasyShare doesn't even have a manual mode, I don't think it will be capable of the second curtain sync either... I'm actually taking two classes right now that involve photography, so I'll post my projects on TPF for C&C as well, and hopefully we'll start to see some improvement!

Get a starter DSLR when you get a chance with a basic 50mm lens, it doesn't have to be one of the most recent ones. Shoot, an old Canon 30D or 10D can be found really inexpensively and they still take great images to learn with. The same can be found with older Nikon models.

Okay, I'll look into it, are there any models you personally reccomend?

I used a Canon Rebel for years. It is their entry level DSLR and it was good to me. Looks like the Nikon 3100 is their entry level. The cheapest/easiest way to get started would be to go with the 18-55mm kit lens. The 50mm prime is optically superior and also affordable.

Doesn't make a big difference what brand you go with, but once you start accumulating lenses you will be somewhat committed to your choice.

You'll need some sort of bright light to be able to capture the snowflakes, either with your flash or getting right up close to the light from the streetlight ...

I took a look at both of those and I think I like the Nikon D3100 more. Thank you for the advice, this will help me get started in the future :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back