What's new

Shooting Tethered

Andrew Anthony

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,
So after a couple of shoots in studio now I've notice that my lcd screen on the back of my D7000 is not big enough for me to see everything I need and have thought about starting to shoot tethered in the studio... I had an idea as I have a 42" LCD tv/monitor in my studio that i would shoot to my laptop which i can see and also output the shots to the 42" for my models to see... I've talked about this with a few people and i've been getting mixed responses as some say its a great idea but others feel that they dont want the model to see every shot they are taking... what are your views on this and what do you think i should do?
Thanks
Andrew
 
Last edited:
I can see how some models would be distracted by it, but on the other hand, instant feedback could also be a very useful tool for the model, like it is for the photographer.
 
I never use tethered shooting when shooting models, its too distracting. I did it once and it was a pain, if i do it again, i will turn the screen towards me. I shoot thetered when i shoot still life so i can see eveything right away, applysome pp and do some lightning change right away.
 
I can see how some models would be distracted by it, but on the other hand, instant feedback could also be a very useful tool for the model, like it is for the photographer.

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well... I just don't want a model to say something like "oh i look fat in that one, delete it!" or like you said just become too distracted by seeing the images up in real time... it maybe something I try and use on a per model basis perhaps...
 
I never use tethered shooting when shooting models, its too distracting. I shoot thetered when i shoot still life and comercial stuff so i can see eveything right away, applysome pp and do some lightning change right away.

when shooting models are you handheld or on a tripod most of the time?
 
I could see where it could be a distraction for the model while shooting. Place it so you can see it, and show 'em the pics after the shoot.

yeah maybe keep the big screen in the studio but have it facing me then when the shoot is over i can show them on the big screen... that could work as the big screen is on one of those articulating mounts!
 
I never use tethered shooting when shooting models, its too distracting. I shoot thetered when i shoot still life and comercial stuff so i can see eveything right away, applysome pp and do some lightning change right away.

when shooting models are you handheld or on a tripod most of the time?

Always handheld.
 
I think that another advantage of shooting tethered, is when there are other people who want/need to see the photos. Like the creative director, the hair stylist, the fashion designer, etc.

A member here, Speedtrap, was talking about his set up where use uses wifi to send the photos from the camera to his laptop, which has another screen attached for all the people to look at the images. But then he adds an iPad for the 'director' as well.
 
I think that another advantage of shooting tethered, is when there are other people who want/need to see the photos. Like the creative director, the hair stylist, the fashion designer, etc.

A member here, Speedtrap, was talking about his set up where use uses wifi to send the photos from the camera to his laptop, which has another screen attached for all the people to look at the images. But then he adds an iPad for the 'director' as well.

This is deffintly the way to go if you have 3rd parties involved in the shoot.
 
I never use tethered shooting when shooting models, its too distracting. I shoot thetered when i shoot still life and comercial stuff so i can see eveything right away, applysome pp and do some lightning change right away.

when shooting models are you handheld or on a tripod most of the time?

Always handheld.

Now shooting models is something i'm fairly new at and I've very rarely used my tripod but I've read that shooting on a tripod slows you down when shooting in a studio environment and that might be something i need as i tend to shoot a lot... and i guess the problem with shooting a lot is that after lets say after an hour or so of shooting i'm at 300-600 pictures and post production is not really my strong suite so maybe being tethered and using a tripod will slow me down a bit...
 
I think that another advantage of shooting tethered, is when there are other people who want/need to see the photos. Like the creative director, the hair stylist, the fashion designer, etc.

A member here, Speedtrap, was talking about his set up where use uses wifi to send the photos from the camera to his laptop, which has another screen attached for all the people to look at the images. But then he adds an iPad for the 'director' as well.

yeah i could see doing something like that.... i just purchased a longer USB cable to try shooting tethered first before I invest in a wireless tethered setup as i wanna see if i like it first!
 
Now shooting models is something i'm fairly new at and I've very rarely used my tripod but I've read that shooting on a tripod slows you down when shooting in a studio environment and that might be something i need as i tend to shoot a lot... and i guess the problem with shooting a lot is that after lets say after an hour or so of shooting i'm at 300-600 pictures and post production is not really my strong suite so maybe being tethered and using a tripod will slow me down a bit...
Using a tripod can slow you down...but only, I think, if you are moving the camera position often. If the camera is going to be in a static position, whether you are holding it or not...you might just fire it off just as fast.
I think that a bigger issue is your style and how you interact with the model. Some photographers are 'high energy' and might be moving all over the place, changing their angle and distance constantly. A tripod wouldn't work for that. On the other hand, some photographers don't like to be 'hidden' behind the camera. By using a tripod (and probably a remote shutter release), they can come out from behind the camera and really interact with their subject/model.

Another factor may be the type of shot you're trying for and how precise you want/need your lighting to be. If you have your lights all set perfectly, and your model is positioned just right...you probably aren't going to want the camera position to change from shot to shot...so a tripod would be beneficial. For example, you can go from broad lighting to short lighting, just by moving to the left or right, if you cross over the mid-line of your model's face.

I'd suggest trying both and seeing what works for you.
 
Now shooting models is something i'm fairly new at and I've very rarely used my tripod but I've read that shooting on a tripod slows you down when shooting in a studio environment and that might be something i need as i tend to shoot a lot... and i guess the problem with shooting a lot is that after lets say after an hour or so of shooting i'm at 300-600 pictures and post production is not really my strong suite so maybe being tethered and using a tripod will slow me down a bit...
Using a tripod can slow you down...but only, I think, if you are moving the camera position often. If the camera is going to be in a static position, whether you are holding it or not...you might just fire it off just as fast.
I think that a bigger issue is your style and how you interact with the model. Some photographers are 'high energy' and might be moving all over the place, changing their angle and distance constantly. A tripod wouldn't work for that. On the other hand, some photographers don't like to be 'hidden' behind the camera. By using a tripod (and probably a remote shutter release), they can come out from behind the camera and really interact with their subject/model.

Another factor may be the type of shot you're trying for and how precise you want/need your lighting to be. If you have your lights all set perfectly, and your model is positioned just right...you probably aren't going to want the camera position to change from shot to shot...so a tripod would be beneficial. For example, you can go from broad lighting to short lighting, just by moving to the left or right, if you cross over the mid-line of your model's face.

I'd suggest trying both and seeing what works for you.

Thanks Mike! Great advice I will give it a try next shoot!
 
Mike, can you give us a quick run-down on the whole broad/short lighting dynamic? You posted something similar in my thread the other day and I've been curious since. I bought a few books last night on portrait lighting, which I'm sure will go into it but I'm more interested on your interpretation and how you utilize/manipulate it. I'm pretty sure Andrew wouldn't mind hijacking his thread for a couple of posts as he was curious too when I mentioned your comments to him. Thanks.

~Tom
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom