Shooting the runway(model)

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so my girlfriend is going to be doing a runway modelling thingy in Toronto soon, and I am obviously bringing my camera. Now, what should I know about that type of photography? I'm hoping that she'll get to use some of the pictures as samples and stuff like that, so it'd be nice if I could understand what professional runway photographers usually do...

I know we are used to making art...but I would assume they could care less and just want an accurate depiction of the model, correct?

I will obviously try to get some edgy/art shots in...but I'd like to have some that she can use later.

Oh, and light...
What do you guys think the lighting will be like? I'm assuming it will be dark as all heck...but I've never been to one of these things before.

Any tips, tricks, links to famous runway photographers?

Thanks a lot guys!

Flash will be disallowed. You'll need to shoot as fast as possible in order to freeze the motion. Turn your AF off, it will get confused. Have fun.

Flash will be disallowed. You'll need to shoot as fast as possible in order to freeze the motion. Turn your AF off, it will get confused. Have fun.
Well I figured there's be no flash, but it would be useless anyways, cause I doubt I'll be allowed right up close to the runway...

I hate flash anyways for most things. I want to capture the mood, not just the subject perfectly lit and whatnot.

Thanks for the tips.

Well I have no other suggestion for you but to tell you that even if you think flash may be disallwed make sure you take it with you anyway you may be surprised when you get right down to it.

Well I have no other suggestion for you but to tell you that even if you think flash may be disallwed make sure you take it with you anyway you may be surprised when you get right down to it.

unfortunately, I don't havea speedlite. Otherwise, I may like flash..lol.

Thanks for the tip, though.

ANyone else around? Somebody has to have some experience with runways or modelling in general.

This was obvious to me right after someone told me (one of those "doh" moments): shoot when she puts the foot down. People in mid-stride look silly. Go practice at the mall or some place where you can hang for a while and observe random strangers walking. Fine-tuning your walking-shot timing. This is important for urban photography as well, obviously.

If there are pro's there, give them a wide berth. I've seen photographers at London fashion shows physically throw amateurs out when they have tried to stand in the same area as they do. Maybe go up to them before the show starts and have a chat.

If there are pro's there, give them a wide berth. I've seen photographers at London fashion shows physically throw amateurs out when they have tried to stand in the same area as they do. Maybe go up to them before the show starts and have a chat.

ahah. I never thought of that, but that makes lots of sense. I'm thinking I will probably be far enough away that it won't matter...but I'll be sure to make sure.

I'm thinking about renting a 70-200 2.8L....but I'm not sure if I'm going to. Kind of poor...

So if I can get close enough I can use my 50...

Oh well. We'll see.

Thanks so far guys! Any other tips would be awesome.

If you are forced to stand farther away... a fast (f/2.8) zoom and a monopod, if possible, are your best friends. Manual focus, prefocus in advance and shoot rapid fire 2-3 shots at a time.

If you miss the timing of her walk, by taking several pics in a row, one should come out well.

Good luck and if you can, post a couple when you get back!

Ya I'm gonna post some when I get back...just lookin for advice before I get up there.

Most reactions

Back