Shooting with two bodies

xsouthpawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I"m actually shooting an event tomorrow for my yearbook. But as it turns out, my 10D's autofocus no longer works. (Everything else is fine) I managed to borrow the yearbook camera (Nikon D70 w/ AFS 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5) which does have a working af.

Here's my question. Should I shoot with both cameras? (I have 70-200mm f/4L for the Canon, other equipment listed in my sig) Or just shoot with one.. And if it does come down to both at once, how do I manage the 2 cameras? Having two cameras hanging from my neck seems like a pain (the Nikon neck strap is especially short)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

It is hard to say, not knowing the actual event. Some events lend themselves more to manual focus than others. If you are used to manual focus, I'd say fine, bring the other camera. If you are not used to manual focus, I'd say leave it at home. I've done event photography and things can happen fast. You need to be ready to shoot at a moment's notice. Trying to manual focus (if you are not used to doing so) can cause you to miss shots. If you are new to event photography, I'd say stick with the one AF body that works.

When I shoot with two cameras, I'll often have one on a long strap across my chest/shoulder and the other one in my hand with just a short strap around my wrist. I almost never hang a camera around my neck.

i wish i had 2 camera lol

Nikon & Canon are completely different systems. Shooting with 2 bodies does save time but you'll need to adjust & adapt to how to use the bodies. They work pretty much in opposite ways.

Nikon & Canon are completely different systems. Shooting with 2 bodies does save time but you'll need to adjust & adapt to how to use the bodies. They work pretty much in opposite ways.

heh. yeah. The zoom ring is the complete opposite =\

I spent a couple of days working with the Nikon.
I think I still had a higher keeper rate with my Canon though :p
AF helped a LOT still. Some of the "action" shots wouldn't have been possible without the AF.

Unless you're pretty experienced, two cameras can be more work than it is worth in terms of rewards. A 400 or 300 on a monopod and a 24-70 or 28-70 on a neckstrap is one way to work things for outdoor sports. It takes a bit of practice to get comfortable carrying and switching between two bodies.

The straps most camera makers include with their cameras aren't neck straps, they are shoulder straps.

For events I hang the primary camera on a Black Rapid sling so it hangs at the top of my right hip. The second body is on my left side hanging on a Nikon shoulder strap.

RS-4 R-Strap BlackRapid.com

For what it's worth, I shoot with 2 bodies almost all the time. Both are autofocus though, so I don't know if it applies. I shoot primes only, so again, don't know if it applies. I use a Lowepro waist belt to hold a flash and 2 lenses, and a Spiderholster to hold the camera I'm not shooting with. Works great for me.

Most reactions

Back