Shopping at B/H - advice needed

DavorSt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A question for those familiar with B&H Photo Video routine.
My friend is going to New York at the end of November and he would buy me a Canon 5d mark II body there. The listed price at the moment is USD 1799 with "offer ends nov 24" note. How likely is that after that date the price will go up? Would it be wise to make an online payment right away to secure that price? Or is it possible that price will be even lower? What is your estimate?
TIA, Davor

Actually, I would suggest calling B&H and asking that very question. They would be able to give you an accurate answer. On this forum, you will receive a bunch of guesses. I will tell you, however, I know that sometimes they have "online only" deals and prices. There is also an B&H rep that participates on this forum.

Well, I contacted them on their Live Chat, but they could (or would) not tell me whether that price will stay. Now I really need "a bunch of guesses" from people who have experience shopping in B&H. How likely is that price will go up now with Mark III in the market?

A question for those familiar with B&H Photo Video routine.
My friend is going to New York at the end of November and he would buy me a Canon 5d mark II body there. The listed price at the moment is USD 1799 with "offer ends nov 24" note. How likely is that after that date the price will go up? Would it be wise to make an online payment right away to secure that price? Or is it possible that price will be even lower? What is your estimate?
TIA, Davor

my estimate:
chances of price going LOWER than current sale price after sale: 0.001%
chances of price going up exactly $400 after the $400 sale is over: 95%
chances the $400 sale will be extended to a further date, or renewed: 3.999%
something else entirely: 1%

I agree with Mully, if you have the money, why wait until after a good sale for the highly unlikely event of a better sale, most other reputable places I've seen have it listed for the same or more than BH currently does, and BH is an excellent company to buy from, I've purchased from them many times without issue.

you might want to verify that they'll let your friend pick it up rather than shipping it though if that's what you intend to do.

Did you ask them if you can go ahead and purchase it at that price and then let your friend pick it up instead of having it shipped?

Great idea, but that's just brutal to have to pay for it without having it shipped out next day.

Agreed. I don't quite understand WHY you'd want to do it that way, but I'm assuming there is some reason the OP wants his friend to pick it up.

+1, though the OP doesn't have a location listed, I was wondering if it was to avoid excessive shipping/customs charges for another country or something.

Picking up in NY will incur sales tax.

Perhaps someone here who lives in New Jersey will 'receive' it for you and you can p/up from there.
If your friend is going to Wash, DC., I will receive it for you and hand it off to him.

I live in Europe, in Croatia and want to avoid shipping and customs expenses. The lowest price I can get here is 60% more than the current price in B&H and elsewhere in US. How much is NY sales tax going to be?
I thought that it was rather unlikely that prices will go up as I see this price ($1799 or even lower) in other US online shops as well, it is not some B&H special price.
Thank you for your advices, they are really helpful.

yeah, I figured it was something like that. I have a friend that used to live in Croatia, its a beautiful country.

NYC sales tax is 8.875% IIRC, so if that's accurate, you'd be looking at an additional $159.66 in sales tax.

Is that a refundable one? I mean when you leave the country

Most reactions

Back