Shot a wedding for some friends (as a secondary/backup shooter)

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The REAL photographer was hogging their time and getting lots of good stuff. Learned some good tips from her and mostly tried to stay out of her way. I have a ton of other photos to edit but I wanted to share this one.

Specific settings for this shot:
Rebel T2i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-vc
f/5.6 @ 50mm
1/50 sec shutter
ISO 400

Flash behind couple (bare) 1/2 to 1/4 power (can't remember).
Flash on camera bracket @ 1/8 power, pointed directly at couple.
Both fired with radio poppers.

Any and all comments welcomed.

5049962522_2f18bd267e_b.jpg

I like this shot...nice, crisp focus. I think the ferns could go either way with in people's opinions...personally, i think they add to the shot. Nice work man!

Next time you'll be visiting NYC, send a note. If I'll have a job that day you'll come along...
Will give you 3 reasons:
#1 - you understand concept of lighting. Yes your main in flat as a board but you poped a backlight that did a great job (for the future, have them take a step a bit towards you b/c the light is to close to them and doesn't spread.
#2 - You take #1 and apply it = CREATIVITY
#3 - 1+2 :D

I love it.. Great stuff.
One thing, though.. Not that you could really help it, but it may have been a better shot if his hands weren't grabbing her on her butt. Like with the romantic setting, the action just doesn't fit IMO, I would have preferred him just holding her. But then again, everyone's different -- and the action probably is what makes this shot so great, in a subconscious sort of way (to me at least).

& also I should factor that plenty of real serious shots were probably taken, so by that later time people were ready to loosen up a little bit and get some shots to show that they aren't robots :p

I'm way overthinking the pose, the shot. I know.

Good work.

excellent picture, I think it would be better without his hands on her butt.

The hands on butt thing, well... it was playful at this point. They had me along as a friend and I'm glad they were patient enough with me to let me set up this one shot. So, I'm sure in their main album that they paid for, there won't be butt-grabbing shots, but I'm glad I was able to get some decent quality pictures of them being themselves as well.

Next time you'll be visiting NYC, send a note. If I'll have a job that day you'll come along...
Will give you 3 reasons:
#1 - you understand concept of lighting. Yes your main in flat as a board but you poped a backlight that did a great job (for the future, have them take a step a bit towards you b/c the light is to close to them and doesn't spread.
#2 - You take #1 and apply it = CREATIVITY
#3 - 1+2 :D

Wow, thanks so much. It was something I didn't really get to practice so i was surprised that it actually worked out at all :)

Well, he's certainly enjoying himself.

Nice shot, doesn't feel 'second string' at all :)

Nice work Reznap, I am all for the butt grab, it shows personality!!!

I like the hand placement...its different then a lot of other wedding pics... laid back and not so serious and to me it seems being the 2nd photographer kind of gives you the opportunity to try different things while #1 gets the serious/traditional stuff

very nice photo great lighting I love how you can see there is a light in the back but it doesn't destroy the photo very nice

Hey, thanks for all the positive replies, glad I didn't completely strike out to be honest...

So I posted this on another forum (potn) and they basically just frowned at the butt-grabbing. You guys are way less 'stiff' about that stuff I guess.

Anyway, I wanted to share one more - and maybe other as I edit. This one was during the dance (obviously) and I added a texture layer to the ceiling after cloning out a fan and a few vents. Also played with the RGB curves.

5053492194_47f0060b81_b.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread... well not really.

Anyway, here's an album of some of the pictures I took. Not getting paid for this, did it as a friend.

Any and all good or bad comments welcomed but mostly I'm following up in case anyone wanted to look.

imgur: the simple image sharer

what causes the weird shadow behind the groom

That hair light adds a really nice touch to the photo.

Most reactions

Back