shot from friends wedding C&C

t00sl0w

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i did one of my friends weddings just to get some practice, and this is a pic that i loved. what do you guys think? i havent edited it at all, the only thing i was thinking that should be done, would be to maybe remove the arm from the left side of the image....but i feared that might upset how off center she is....what do you guys think?

britwed1_by_t00sl0w.jpg

half the shot is blown out including veil, there is a random blurred arm with a handycam, the brides face is entirely in the shadows, you can't see anything of what i presume is the groom.

ok, so by blown out i guess you mean too bright?...i am new new, so...
so darken it?
yes, remove the arm.....and no that isnt the groom, thats her father...

i have better pics, but i liked this one, and want some tips to maybe salvage it, and make it better....

once its blown out (too bright) there's nothing really to be done. blown out means the camera just saw pure white and didn't record any real textures or data, just white. you can reduce the exposure but that will result in the brides face being even darker. you won't really have any detail in the veil or the back of her arm anyways. you can definitely try it but i don't think it will really save the picture.

you have to get rid of the handycam guy thoguh. her dad's arm isnt a big deal imo.

ok thanks for your help so far...i will try and darken it some to see if that helps...man, i was hoping to be able to save this one....this was just one i was snapping as she went into the reception hall, so, i didnt really change any of the cameras settings as i should have.....stupid me!...

i do wonder if you have some tips on setting the white balance...right now, that is the only function i have left on auto, and i am not so sure about what to change it too and when....i know practice, but a overview, or theory would be awsome!

leave the white balance on auto.

are you saying that because i am new, or because that is the best bet?

Honestly, this picture is a bust IMO. If you like it, fine, then be happy with it and that's cool... but the overexposure (brightness) looks unsalvagable, the man randomly pointing doesn't make a lot of sense and it looks like his arm is sticking out of her neck, you can't really see the bride as she is underexposed and not in a complimentary facial position, and there is this big giant random wall in the shot.

Again, if you like it, so be it. Enjoy it and be happy, but overall the shot didn't work.

well, thanks for the input guys...sad to hear that its pretty much gone...was a cool idea, but i will have to do it differently next time...thanks though!!

because it's so easy to fix in post processing. the presets you are going to be choosing from could be further off than what the camera auto selects. if you're setting up a shot that allows you the time to use a gray card to set a custom white balance then by all means do it. or if the flash is the only light present then you can set it to flash. but for general shooting just use auto.

because it's so easy to fix in post processing. the presets you are going to be choosing from could be further off than what the camera auto selects. if you're setting up a shot that allows you the time to use a gray card to set a custom white balance then by all means do it. or if the flash is the only light present then you can set it to flash. but for general shooting just use auto.

oof. Auto? Seriously? Ack.

Program mode... sure, ok I guess... aperture priority, sure. Shutter priority I suppose if the focal length demands it... but auto? Gad. Please don't do that. It will punish you by auto-selecting focus points and even set your ISO. Bad bad bad. :thumbdown:

i use the manual mode...i just wasnt sure about white balance...i am looking for more tips with the white balance setting...

oof. Auto? Seriously? Ack.

Program mode... sure, ok I guess... aperture priority, sure. Shutter priority I suppose if the focal length demands it... but auto? Gad. Please don't do that. It will punish you by auto-selecting focus points and even set your ISO. Bad bad bad. :thumbdown:

auto white balance. not auto mode.

my 2 cents...

leave the white balance on auto.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're shooting RAW. Even shooting RAW, personally I try to get everything to so called perfect state as to minimize time in front of the computer.
It takes seconds to preset WB and usually, if you have a constant light source (your flash) you can leave the settings and not touch them until your lighting REALLY changes.

usually you'll want to capture the face of your subjects for this matter, and get some sort of emotion or something meaningful to treasure, one of the big things you can do is to browse flickr or some site to learn from as well as practice practice practice lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back