Shot my first event and it was for LGBT night. (redirected to Flickr)

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shot my first event the other night for a local bar and was looking for some feedback. I stayed around 1000-1600 iso, 1/5-1/25 sec, f/5.6-f/8 and used a off camera nikon sb910 with a diffuser and bounce card.

$DSC_3485.jpg$DSC_3725.jpg$DSC_4078.jpg$DSC_4201.jpg$DSC_4172.jpg$DSC_3683.jpg

Last edited:
TOO MUCH TILT! Exposures are decent... but the tilt? Why?

You will get more feedback if you post a few here.... some will not click links. The only reason I did was it is a Flickr link.

Some of these are pretty nice, lots of intensity.
I think the really heavy vignetting is overdoing it a lot.

But post some here.

These sorts of pictures all look the same. You can't help it, it's the venue and the way you have to shoot. They're mostly interesting to the people in the pictures, and people who know the people in the pictures. You did a fine job of making nice pictures of the people. They're recognizable, sharp, they look like they're having fun and so on.

TOO MUCH TILT! Exposures are decent... but the tilt? Why?

You will get more feedback if you post a few here.... some will not click links. The only reason I did was it is a Flickr link.

I was taking party shots with an open bar tab, I think the tilt is the last thing I was worried about. Plus, it adds a different juice to this kind of event. The reason I went strong on the vignetting was because of the people around. I wanted to focus on the subject and not have other faces take away from the photo. Just depends on which photo it is I guess.

One of the things about tilt is that it's probably the only way to get full length shots in these tight quarters.

One of the things about tilt is that it's probably the only way to get full length shots in these tight quarters.

absolutely, I decided to rock the 24-70 to have some more reach if i need it than my 16-35. I didnt switch out but may next time just to have some ultra wide shots.

I have to agree that the tilt and vignette are distracting to me, and in my opinion it cheapens the look of the photos. Vignettes are usually the result of a low quality lens, and the tilt just seems overdone to me. I started off taking photos at events and parties and I found that my photos really improved when I stopped doing both of these things. As well, your wide angle already gives a fun perspective that doesn't need to be skewed any more than it already is.

On a side note, us queens definitely know how to have a damn good party!

Some of these are pretty nice, lots of intensity.
I think the really heavy vignetting is overdoing it a lot.

But post some here.

All the vignette was bugging me too. Make things look underexposed when the vibe was much brighter and vibrant.

I agree with a bit less vignetting but tilt doesn't bother me too much. I think they are pretty cool shots.
I would love to see more "unposed" shots, see people having fun without knowing they are being shot.

The place is pretty small so it was hard to walk around unnoticed. I did what I could though. Less vignette next time though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back