TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some shots from the park.

Thanks
Zak

Last edited:
The lighting of the first one + angle and look of the 2nd one + without chopped body parts like the first one = win :)

i tried to sum it up into one catchy sentence :)

Thanks.
Trying to learn as much as I can. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ah right, a good rule of thumb in portraits (not my forte but i try)

• Never ever cut off body parts
  • Focus on the eyes
  • If theres a nice background, fill flash to see the face
  • Try not to do posed shots, just go with the flow
  • FOCUS ON THE EYES
:), hope it helps somewhat

edit: also get to their eye level, which you did :thumbup:

Thanks.
Ah right, a good rule of thumb in portraits (not my forte but i try)

• Never ever cut off body parts
  • Focus on the eyes
  • If theres a nice background, fill flash to see the face
  • Try not to do posed shots, just go with the flow
  • FOCUS ON THE EYES
:), hope it helps somewhat

edit: also get to their eye level, which you did :thumbup:

Just to add to that
FOCUS ON THE EYES! :D
That is a very important part to it and can make or break a picture really.
TJ

Awesome!
Thanks Guys

Zak

What the hell is with this "never cut off body parts" crap?

I've been seeing that a lot too. I suppose we're just supposed to take full body portraits now?

I have to disagree about the "lighting of the first one." The sky is overexposed (bright) while your son's face is underexposed (dark). As an example, here is a quick edit (using the free program Picasa). The only thing I changed, aside from cropping out a little bit of the sky, is increasing fill light. As mentioned above, a key with portraits is getting the eyes in focus, and it looks like you did good there. Welcome, and happy shooting!

I edited the picture based on your "My photos are OK to edit" preference. I'll take it off my photobucket in a few days, or sooner if you'd like.

4168088012_2c04bb8ef6_b.jpg

needs fill light badly.

WOW! Goontz's quick edit of the first shot revealed a really cute, adorable photo that I couldn't really appreciate in the first rendition of the shot!

As far as not cropping off body parts...well, yes and no. The way your first shot is composed is a type of composition I learned in design classes at university was called the "as in a painting" style of composition, where the subject literally touches three or four sides of the frame. As such, the way you framed it falls into that category.

The blown-out sky is a bit disturbing, but one could convert the picture to monochrome I suppose, and have it look adorable. I like the third shot somewhat. In years to come, these will become treasured family memories!

I've been seeing that a lot too. I suppose we're just supposed to take full body portraits now?

That and never in context, as well. By that I mean it seems portrait comments are almost more about the bokeh (and making sure the background is beautifully out of focus) - - then capturing the subject in an interesting and relevant setting. :scratch:

Thank you all for the comments and tips.

Just some more info on the shots. it was a bright sunny and we in the shade of a big tree. Im picking this is why the sky is so blown out.

Thanks again
Zak

Most reactions

New Topics

Back