Shots in bright sunlight.

thevideographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In most of my outdoor photos taken in bright sunlight, I get ugly colors like in the example. How can I prevent that from happening? The grass should be a more toned down, green color (less yellow) and the rest of it is washed out. Do I need to use a polarizing filter, nd filter, or just different technique? Also I haven't done any editing on this photo so you can see what I mean:

6122892438_96493b04e8_z.jpg

Believe a polarizer would have worked best , it would have gotten rid of some of the glare on the water as well.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Yes, a circular polarizing (CPL) filter would have helped some.

However, a CPL is most effective when the Sun is less than 30° above the horizon, and 90° to the lens axis (the side). So once the Sun gets 30° above the horizon it starts becoming less effective, particularly in how it renders the sky. The effect in the sky will be uneven across the image frame.

A CPL filter will cost you about a stop of exposure.

Here is some more information and some example photos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)

This photo is not in bright sun. The building is shaded and also backlit. Because of the backlight the highlights are completely blown out (washed out). Your camera set a reasonable exposure for the building and foreground and as a result overexposed the sky. A filter won't help that. As for the color; where was your WB set?

The proper technique for taking this photo was to recognize the lighting condition and not take the photo.

Joe

It would be nice to see the exif for the shot, or at lest post the camera settings. That may provide some clues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back