Shots Taken with my New Nikon 50mm AFS F/1.8G

mswiech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Here are some shots that I taken with my new 50mm AFS F/1.8G Nikon on a D3100. Took my daughter out to test what kind of shots I could get with this. Be as harsh as you like in the critique.

ISO 100
50mm
F/2.2
1/250

_DSC0408 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

ISO 100
50mm
F/2.2
1/200

_DSC0403 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

ISO 100
50mm
F/2.2
1/800

_DSC0438 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

ISO 100
50mm
F/2.8
1/250

_DSC0439 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

ISO 100
50mm
F/2.2
1/400

_DSC0399-2 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

These are great! I love the focus and the bokeh. I think though if she is going to stand on an angle you are going to at least need a 2.8 to get both eyes in focus. A fill flash would have been helpful in #3.

Three would have been a lovely photo if the girl's chin and top of her head hadn't been cut off.

I like the last photo the most.

Three would have been a lovely photo if the girl's chin and top of her head hadn't been cut off.

A VERTICAL camera orientation would have allowed both the top of her head, and her chin, to be included within the picture area.

Lovely color and sharpness but you really need to look at framing before you post in 1,2 & 5. Lots of empty space that drains away energy.
#3 is underexposed in the face, too flat and badly framed.

A VERTICAL camera orientation would have allowed both the top of her head, and her chin, to be included within the picture area.

hahaha.....

With regards to the framing, I agree with The_Traveler but I actually like it in number one. I think the empty space above her head is good, especially because she's looking UP at the camera. Solo i miei due centesimi.

Thank you everyone for the comments. I will take the advice and apply it going forward with more photo's that I take. Appreciate them and keep them coming.

WOW that thing is SHARP! But you definitley need more DOF on alot of the shots.

WOW that thing is SHARP! But you definitley need more DOF on alot of the shots.
Thanks for that comment. I will be working on that and will post more photos when I get out again..

I was gonna mention something about shooting vertical, but I see that Derrel has already visited.

I was gonna mention something about composition, but I see that Lew has been in the house too.

So I'll try something else. Look at the difference in shots #2 & 5. Notice anything missing? That's right, in #5 you don't see the missing tooth. Also, the smile looks genuine in #5. Same goes for #3, she doesn't have a missing tooth on that side. Therefore, I must ask...... did you even notice this before or during the shoot? I know you know that she has a missing tooth, but did you see it through the viewfinder? If you want to make your subject look their best, you should study them before pulling the trigger.

I was gonna mention something about shooting vertical, but I see that Derrel has already visited.

I was gonna mention something about composition, but I see that Lew has been in the house too.

So I'll try something else. Look at the difference in shots #2 & 5. Notice anything missing? That's right, in #5 you don't see the missing tooth. Also, the smile looks genuine in #5. Same goes for #3, she doesn't have a missing tooth on that side. Therefore, I must ask...... did you even notice this before or during the shoot? I know you know that she has a missing tooth, but did you see it through the viewfinder? If you want to make your subject look their best, you should study them before pulling the trigger.

We actually noticed that afterwards the missing tooth. When it's your own, you miss the little things like that. She was kinda laughing at it afterwards as she noticed it and noticed that her tongue was sticking out a little. Appreciate the feedback.

Most reactions

Back