What's new

Shots with a Point&Shoot

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
3,588
Reaction score
929
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was on vacation. I did not want to lug around my DSLR and kit.
So I used my little Panasonic P&S camera. It is so liberating not dragging a large camera.
Here are the pictures.
6974429584_dba4649d3a_c.jpg

6974495730_7cf6a0a7bd_c.jpg

7120635327_9c55d3feb9_c.jpg
 
the 3rd image feels like small toys : D i like it! also the framing in the 1st image
well done
 
at night...still with my P&S resting the camera on a wall
6974020586_bccd747e0e_b.jpg

I'm lazy...still with my little compact P&S
6973871618_f1d53fe85d_b.jpg

from a moving car with the P&S
6973816530_d716719ec2_b.jpg

I'm a bit of an Aviation Geek so I was so excited to have a chance to ride the Airbus A380-800
6973790320_9e5eea90ff_b.jpg
 
Picture #1 really has just too much distortion that I keep on looking at. Just can't get past it. Picture #2, not sure why you opted to process it as B&W. Seems to me that if it has the brilliant color that you achieved in picture #1, it would be just that much better. Picture #3, i really like. Just a nice solid composition. Out of the 2nd set, I really like your night cityscape. Exactly what is that building in Picture #2 ? As for Picture #3, it's a nice technical night airport shot.
 
You must be too used to boring architecture. Picture #1 has no distortion. That is what the building looks like :) Reflections at Keppel Bay, Singapore - indesignlive.asia
Just liked it better in B&W

Guess that's what I'm use to seeing, the boring buildings in NYC and other cities on the East coast. Personally, I don't see any reason to have building contorted like that other then just to be different. Is there a functional reason for it? That's just my personal opinion.
 
While your images are well composed, I do believe these would have looked freaking spectacular if you had used your DSLR. I debate this everytime I walk out the door on a trip, that darn heavy, bulky camera and kit just can't be matched with my little pocket Canon.

For what you used they are well seen, composed and delivered.
 
The nightime cityscape is great. Makes an interesting image with lots of visual stimulation. All those days lugging around the DSLR makes it possible for some above average shots from the P&S. The quality of P&S has increased to a point where it is a viable option for certain limited situations...far different from the 35mm SLR cameras vs. the 110 film P&S days.
 
I like the series, compositionally #3 is the best.
I travel with P&S only when I have really few free time (or cabin bag only :) ). However, while limited, recent P&S suffer the least in this kind of pictures, cityscaprs, some landscapes where shallow DoF is not a problem.
 
You must be too used to boring architecture. Picture #1 has no distortion. That is what the building looks like :) Reflections at Keppel Bay, Singapore - indesignlive.asia
Just liked it better in B&W

Guess that's what I'm use to seeing, the boring buildings in NYC and other cities on the East coast. Personally, I don't see any reason to have building contorted like that other then just to be different. Is there a functional reason for it? That's just my personal opinion.
NY eh? Interestingly, the designer for Reflections at Keppel is the guy who designed ONE WTC in NY. The building replacing the site of the twin towers.
Daniel Libeskind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
While your images are well composed, I do believe these would have looked freaking spectacular if you had used your DSLR. I debate this everytime I walk out the door on a trip, that darn heavy, bulky camera and kit just can't be matched with my little pocket Canon.

For what you used they are well seen, composed and delivered.
Thanks Trever.
Unless I'm specifically shooting in really low light or unless I'm being paid to do a shoot, I usually leave my D700 at home. Too heavy, too attention getting, and too bulky especially when I'm on vacation and going about on public transit. My GF who was with me who didn't mind looking more touristy had HER own D700 on her with a 50/1.8 lens This is her version of #2.
Yeah, it was an overcast day.

Even with my little Lumix LX-5 was a bother to take out a lot of the time. I spent more time simply eating, enjoying myself and soaking in the surroundings than worrying about lugging a heavy camera about with me. If you want to see pictures of the places I went. Check out my GF's album. I only really used my D700 when I was at the zoo.

It all boils down to this: the best camera in the world is the one you carry with you.

I had some of the best Sushi in my life at this little sushi bar at Narita Airport
6974638174_b29615cf78_b.jpg

Breakfast in Singapore
7120240793_54462d5878_b.jpg

Dinner time...om nom nom.. lower lighting here
6974082624_2f75313a08_b.jpg

Anthony Bourdain Approved
7120112121_84e27d3482_b.jpg

Boiled Chicken and Steamed rice - Delicious
7120127719_4b35b4b0b6_b.jpg



My brother recently got a Sony NEX7. He claims that he will have DSLR quality with a camera slightly bigger than mine. Let's see.
 
I take my P&S quite often too, and live comfortably with the regrets. I think you have some nice captures here. I particulalry like the Airplanes and Cars.
 
Those do look good. I have a little Canon IS1400 that definitle challenges me. I hate lugging the D700, worry about getting bumped or snatched but I can't leave it behind.
 
Trever, get the Fuji X10. I bought the LX5 when it first came out but the new Fuji X10 looks like a beauty.
 
While your images are well composed, I do believe these would have looked freaking spectacular if you had used your DSLR. I debate this everytime I walk out the door on a trip, that darn heavy, bulky camera and kit just can't be matched with my little pocket Canon.

For what you used they are well seen, composed and delivered.

This is where the Fuji x100 comes in!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom