Should I buy the Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6?

darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm heading to NYC soon and will be paying a visit to B&H.

I'm undecided whether to buy the 100-400mm lens for my 5D or should i buy the Canon 2x TC (I believe the TC is L quality) and hook it up with my 70-200mm f2.8 L.

I know the TC will slow my lens down but will it slow it to a point that's slower than the 100-400? The 100-400 has IS so that would compensate up to a point.
I can afford either (or even both if anyone thinks it's wise) but I don't want to spend the money on the lens to find out later I'd have had the same or better results by getting the TC and using my existing f2.8 lens.

I'd be grateful for opinions and input.

thanks
David

here have a read of this:
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/400v400.shtml

I had a similar choice and decided to go for the 70-200mm with the TC because I also intend (in time) to get hold of a 300mm f2.8 lens. Now If I got the 100-400 I would end up using this lens only for the lower ranges and the 300mm for the rest - and so I opted to get a lens that would keep its worth with me in light of future updates

Didn't we just have a thread on this less than a week ago?

If you find yourself needing the range and flexibility, go with the 100-400L

If you find yourself needing the fast aperture with an occasional need to go beyond the 200mm focal length, go with the 70-200L with the 2x TC.

I've owned both and for me the 100-400 served me best although I had the 1.4xTC not the 2x.

What will you use the lens for? When I had to to chose, I went for the 300mm f/4, plus a 1.4 TC, since for wildlife the lens is too short most of the time anyway. Also in sports the 300 does serve me well and I hardly ever miss the flexibility.

Thanks guys

Everread - good article and quite informative.
Good shout on the use of the lens - with my 70-200 f2.8 I'd probably use that up to 200 but for anything beyond that i'd need to use the 100-400.

Usayit - i didn't realise there was a recent thread - i've not posted for a long time - i admit i should have searched!! I like your perspective too. I live in Scotland and we don't get too much sun so the faster aperture is great. I have been looking for a longer focal length at times and since i have a 5D the noise is very low so i can push the ISO up a few steps to compensate for lower light levels.

Alex_B - i'd use it for wildlife mainly - birds in the garden, deer in the highlands (if i can find them!) etc. and my 200 is a too short for that - especially with the full frame sensor.

still thinking and still appreciating further comments!

If you are willing to lose a stop of light, then check out the new Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3with OS and HSM. Its a grand US.

Another way to put it...

If you see yourself enjoying the flexibility of the 24-105L as a walk around... get the 100-400L to supplement.

If you see yourself enjoying the speed of the 24-70L as a low light shooter... get the 70-200L + 2x to supplement.

Another way to put it...

If you see yourself enjoying the flexibility of the 24-105L as a walk around... get the 100-400L to supplement.

If you see yourself enjoying the speed of the 24-70L as a low light shooter... get the 70-200L + 2x to supplement.

Thanks for that.
I've already got the 24-70L on my camera most of the time so having slept on it, i think the best thing to do is buy the 2x TC.
I know i'll be back in NY at some point and if i've decided the 2x TC isn't as good as i hoped, then it would be time to buy the 100-400.

Buszaj - i'll check out the lens you mention.

Thanks guys.

If you are willing to lose a stop of light, then check out the new Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3with OS and HSM. Its a grand US.

Had a look at the lens.
It looks pretty good but the B&H site states that when used with a CAnon DSLR it gives an equivalent focal length of 240-800.
That implies that it is the EF-S fitment for cropped sensors. My 5D is EF only fitment so i don't think it would fit my camera.

Would be grateful if someone could confirm either way.

Hmmm.....good point, I think that they can be used on all Canons because their is no notice that its and EF-S on the Sigma site or B&H, but I'm not sure. Anyone know more about this?

If you look at my tagline equiptment list you see have have a good variety of longer lenses but the one that gets used the most and always is with me is the 100-400L. It really is quite versatile and if you do your part it will give you amazingly sharp images.

I've used my 70-200 f/2.8 with a 2x TC once and it did the job but I think the 100-400L at 400 performs better and is sharper if you want to crop images.

No it doesn't. All lenses suffer from crop factor on a crop sensor.

Yes it does.
The implication is EF-S only; the statement implies the use of a APS-C size sensor, the question is if it can be used on a full frame camera, or if it is specifically for APS-C crop sensors.

Had a look at the lens.
It looks pretty good but the B&H site states that when used with a CAnon DSLR it gives an equivalent focal length of 240-800.
That implies that it is the EF-S fitment for cropped sensors. My 5D is EF only fitment so i don't think it would fit my camera.

Would be grateful if someone could confirm either way.

I do not think that is a "warning" :)
It is more of a, buy this 150-500 and it is just like a 240-800 on your FF camera.

I've been keeping an eye on the 150-500 myself and to date have yet to see anyone mention it not working on a FF camera.

Yes it does.
The implication is EF-S only; the statement implies the use of a APS-C size sensor, the question is if it can be used on a full frame camera, or if it is specifically for APS-C crop sensors.

Really? I thought they stated the 35mm equivalents simply because most people don't shoot full frame.

http://flickr.com/photos/pedromourapinheiro/2536782336/in/pool-sigma_lenses

"More test shots with the new Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS lens on a Canon EOS 5D @500mm (bird test)"

So is it an EF-S? You tell me.

Most reactions

Back