chammer
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Jul 30, 2009
- Messages
- 640
- Reaction score
- 5
- Location
- Virginia Beach, VA
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
Maybe it's just me, but I like to make informed decisions... That usually involves educating myself on at least a basic level about what I am doing. I wouldn't hire someone who uses a garden spade to dig a canal... I'd find someone who has the right equipment.
Understood. However, canals can be dug by a garden spade...it'll just take a very long time. Weddings can be shot on lesser gear as well. You own a 50D and state you'd turn away anyone with less than a 7D. I find that kind of weird. The 50D you own is more than capable.
Obviously this is an endless debate, and many of us here that are in the know would prefer the wedding photographer to show up with proper gear. This means multiple professional bodies, and professional lenses and other supporting gear. However, I still stick by opinion in that I don't care what you're shooting with, be it a Brownie or a Hasselblad H3D, if you can provide quality images that the b&g likes and enjoys then good for you.
Sure, there will be times when gear will limit what can be obtained, but by the same token don't be so quick to discount those who have lesser gear who know it inside and out and know how to obtain great quality results from it.
I probably wouldn't have spoken up any had you not mentioned the anything less than 7D part when you're carrying the same 50D I am. I don't see any reason why a 50D (or a 40D, or a...etc) can't be used to shoot a wedding provided you put some quality glass on it. The point is that obviously there is gear better suited for the job, but as with many things in life, there are more ways and more tools to get the job done. There is no only one right way. If there was, it'd be pretty boring, yes?
Wheres Bitters opinion when you want some fuel for the fire!! I like this discussion, but heres my opinion;