should i dump my 16-85mm for the new 24-85 f/3.5-f/4.5?

domu221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have my hands on both 16-85mm f/3.5-f/5.6 and the new 24-85mm f/3.5-f/4.5 and all have VR ("VR II" for the new 24-85mm).

would it be wise to dump my 16-85's wider focal length for a larger aperture at 85 and "VR II" (if it makes a difference),

no keep the 16-85, unless you have something to replace your lost wider end?

Yep would rather have wider when needed as can't compensate for that.
But lacking on the high end all you have to do is take a few steps forward.
Do have a specific Need for the change? Or just a undefined want?

Thanks for the replies! I was bothered when I heard that the more magnification you have, the lesser quality you have with your lens. I believe it was also from this forum so...

I'm considering buying a new lens and when nikon released the 24-85 f/3.5-f/4.5 (i believe it is compatible with FX), I considered buying one as my walk around lens and buying a wide-only zoom lens. but my main concern now is throwing away my walk around lens that serves also as a wide lens.

So, should I just buy 2 lenses (wide and this 24-85) or keep the 16-85? cause... if i can get similar image quality and performance (with the "VR II"; i hope this isnt just some marketing scheme) as my 16-85 then i may not replace it anymore. The matter at hand here is whether or not the extra zoom on the 16-85 compromises img quality.

btw, DX user. 2% might upgrade to FX if rumored d600 is cheap.

VRII does not make a better quality image than VRI, it only allows a slight bit better stabilization.

If you have an FX body then by all means use the FX lens but otherwise I don't see any advantage. The 16-85 is a good quality lens.

Seems to me you have a case of NAS. If you really must spend the money upgrade something else instead of replacing a perfectly good lens with more of the same.

Do you have a decent flash?

How about a good tripod and head?

A nice second hand 135 mm f/2 or f/2.8 would be nice.

A good quality CPL maybe?

How about a fast prime?

Or you could spend the cash on a mini photo holiday or even a photography seminar or night course.

Lots of choices available to satisfy the urge to spend some cash?

two reasons why i wanna dump the 16-85 is bc the 24-85 has a larger aperture at max foc length and the VR"II". its cause i shoot in low light.w/o tripod so the vr"II" and the max aperture really apeals to me

two reasons why i wanna dump the 16-85 is bc the 24-85 has a larger aperture at max foc length and the VR"II". its cause i shoot in low light.w/o tripod so the vr"II" and the max aperture really apeals to me

If I was you, I'd keep the 16-85 f/3.5-5.6VR if you have no plans on going FX in the near future, and if you want faster glass at 85mm, just add the new 85 f/1.8G lens to your pack and you'll have the best of both worlds...

^^ what he said makes the most sense to me. Low light calls for fast primes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back