Should I get a mac or pc?

The entire world has moved well beyond Autocad. Just as the entire world has moved away from the 3-1/2" floppy disk.

Meh, haters gonna hate I guess. Personally I'm looking forward to getting the 2012 update as soon as it's finished going through the vetting process at my work.

For the record I have worked for 2 companies in the top 5 of the Fortune list, and both have AutoCAD as part of the standard software suite for engineers and drafting. Sales of AutoCAD for the engineering teams in these companies alone would dwarf the sales of floppy drives world wide, and we're not the only one that uses them. But you clearly know better so I'll just be quiet :)

<< Just me thinking out loud

The whole Hackintosh versus Mac debate reminds me of discussions on the automotive groups; in particular Jeeps

"Which is better? Building a Jeep or Buying one?"

Although I am in the camp that believes "Jeeps are Built not Bought", I am in complete understanding that not everyone wants to build one. (Me particularly have higher priorities than a built Jeep.. as much as I would like to) Therefore, I also agree that a comparison between the two is an apples to oranges comparison.

Agree or disagree with the above... I am not intending to discuss. Its just how I feel.

A little OT

I was trained in AutoCAD back when it was still command line driven (graphical drawing area) running on top of DOS as a summer job in High School. I recall the machine was fairly expensive since it had a special graphics card and a separate math-coprocessor. By the time I entered College, they were teaching Microstation and the professor was convinced that AutoCAD would eventually take a back seat to it. I haven't had a job that required CAD since then....

So I'm curious, was my professor right? Or has AutoCAD still remains the dominant market share.

As far as I know AutoCAD still has the lion's share of CAD. Microstation got backdoored into a lot of companies because of some fast swindling by some pretty smart people. Some government people wanted to make some money so they talked quite a few of the state's DOT's into getting and using Microstation because it was significantly cheaper than Autocad. However, they have paid through the nose retraining people to use such crapware. So, due to the DOT's using MyCrustation a lot of survey and civil engineering firms had to buy it as well. Our company uses both and everyone, down the last person, prefers AutCAD over Microstation.

<< Just me thinking out loud

The whole Hackintosh versus Mac debate reminds me of discussions on the automotive groups; in particular Jeeps

"Which is better? Building a Jeep or Buying one?"

Although I am in the camp that believes "Jeeps are Built not Bought", I am in complete understanding that not everyone wants to build one. (Me particularly have higher priorities than a built Jeep.. as much as I would like to) Therefore, I also agree that a comparison between the two is an apples to oranges comparison.

Agree or disagree with the above... I am not intending to discuss. Its just how I feel.

You can't build a Jeep. You can modify a Jeep or you can fabricate portions and have it run with a Jeep engine, transmission, differential etc. I challenge you however order every individual part of a Jeep and build it. You know, it could be fun, for the first year or two of building. :lmao:

My point was and still is hardware is hardware. The differences are in the OS. And yes, you can modify a Mac just like you can a Windows machine. May not be quite as easy sometimes, but it can be done if you have rudimentary skills. If you can rebuild a carburetor, you can work on any Mac. Maybe that is the problem these day. The young people of today don't know what a carburetor is much less have the skills to rebuild one. :lol: :lmao: Click and Clack we need you.

You can't build a Jeep. You can modify a Jeep or you can fabricate portions and have it run with a Jeep engine, transmission, differential etc. I challenge you however order every individual part of a Jeep and build it. You know, it could be fun, for the first year or two of building. :lmao:

Actually you van build an entire Jeep from ordered parts. I know a few who have... starting with a chasis that was powered coated and a fiberglass body. All arrived via fedex, ups, and usps trucks.

Not everyone wants to build...

Actually you van build an entire Jeep from ordered parts. I know a few who have... starting with a chasis that was powered coated and a fiberglass body. All arrived via fedex, ups, and usps trucks.

Not everyone wants to build...

All the Jeep guys around here buy the one they want to customize and then start their shopping/spending/building spree. I know, two of the guys I work with are Jeep off roaders. I never understood them. They buy these vehicles, spend big bucks on them to build them exactly how they want them, then trailer them to where they want to off road. If it can off road, isn't it capable of driving ON ROADS??? :lmao:

Yeh.. its pretty funny... I've seen it too.. What I find even MORE amusing... yuppies driving jeeps with HUGE gas sucking tires used for commuting and groceries.

When I graduated, I managed to buy a bone stock 4 banger YJ.... it was fairly off road capable. My buddies required only one thing to head out with them. Tow hooks... so I bought front and rear tow hooks and they would just drag me along whenever I got stuck. It was all I could afford at that time. Its all fun... I MISS IT. Now I think about it... it was nice that they didn't just leave me out there.

Depending on area, some don't want to build/customize according to local laws. So they trailer them. It all depends on how strict the laws were. I recall one local area had a restriction on bead locking rims which means having to trailer in 4 large tires anyways. ALSO, some will run really low gearing... which essentially means running @ redline just to hit 45 miles per hour. Often this was a work around if you didn't have a big enough engine to turn the large tires. One other I recall had a v8 conversion but the drive train was older than the body/chassis it was swapped into... again.. you can't get it registered like that. There are a few other reasons I'm sure... but I'm an ok mechanic not the best.. .

oh btw..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56011_05D_T.htm

Even easier now by ordering online...

Last edited:
Yeh.. its pretty funny... I've seen it too.. What I find even MORE amusing... yuppies driving jeeps with HUGE gas sucking tires used for commuting and groceries.

When I graduated, I managed to buy a bone stock 4 banger YJ.... it was fairly off road capable. My buddies required only one thing to head out with them. Tow hooks... so I bought front and rear tow hooks and they would just drag me along whenever I got stuck. It was all I could afford at that time. Its all fun... I MISS IT. Now I think about it... it was nice that they didn't just leave me out there.

Depending on area, some don't want to build/customize according to local laws. So they trailer them. It all depends on how strict the laws were. I recall one local area had a restriction on bead locking rims. ALSO, some will run really tall gearing... which essentially means running @ redline just to hit 45 miles per hour. There are a few other reasons I'm sure... but I'm a good mechanic not the best.

The best Jeep i have ever been in, never owned one, but the best one I was ever in was a stock 1947 Willys Jeep. That was a JEEP.

What was so funny to me about these two. Last month they took a week trip to Colorado together to go off roading. They left the wives and kids at home. Just the two of them. The ended up taking 4 vehicles and two trailers between the two of them. Two Pickup trucks to pull two trailers each carrying their Jeeps. Now I ask you. Do two people who go together to off road really each need their own Jeep? Plus the two pickup trucks and trailers. Both of their Jeeps are street legal. At least here in Kansas. Sorry, I just don't get it. :lol:

LOL.... That's funny....

To bring it back to photography.... Do you ever wonder about those people that wear a backpack full of equipment to places like disneyland?

LOL.... That's funny....

To bring it back to photography.... Do you ever wonder about those people that wear a backpack full of equipment to places like disneyland?

There are two kinds in my experience. Those that don't have kids so their backpack full of gear is their substitute child or those that have kids and they think that they are the best children on the planet. This is the perfect example of those kinds of parents:
watch

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of those topics that's like a turd that won't flush. Canon or Nikon? Chevy or Ford? PC or Mac?

The bottom line: A mac is more expensive, it's like not having a Manual Mode on your camera but Av and Tv modes work better, by its default settings it is more protected than a PC and there are less people trying to hack them.

It does all the same stuff a PC does, but there are somewhat less options when it comes to programs. If you haven't used one or the other it probably won't matter. If you've used a PC (or mac) all your life it's going to be an awkward switch, but you will get used to it.

So the bottom line, just like with buying a camera, find out what features you want, then go play touchy/feely with both and pick the one that works best for you.

Couldn't put it better!!!

This is one of those topics that's like a turd that won't flush. Canon or Nikon? Chevy or Ford? PC or Mac?

The bottom line: A mac is more expensive, it's like not having a Manual Mode on your camera but Av and Tv modes work better, by its default settings it is more protected than a PC and there are less people trying to hack them.

It does all the same stuff a PC does, but there are somewhat less options when it comes to programs. If you haven't used one or the other it probably won't matter. If you've used a PC (or mac) all your life it's going to be an awkward switch, but you will get used to it.

So the bottom line, just like with buying a camera, find out what features you want, then go play touchy/feely with both and pick the one that works best for you.

Couldn't put it better!!!

Thanks, but there are some fanboys here that attacked me because I talked bad about their beloved mac. Even though it was the truth, they still got all butt hurt. Kind of like liberals when they get smacked in the face with facts. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back