Should I get a Nikon D5000?

JackGC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
At the moment I have a Nikon D60, and have had it for over a year now. I am just wondering if there is a big step up from the D60 to D5000?
Also, I am very keen on the HD recording that the D5000 provides, I am just not sure about the manual focusing, and how hard it will be to maintain focus, has any one used this?

It's a great camera, and in my opinion it's a nice upgrade - though not substantial.

You gain a much better sensor (CMOS vs CCD) for better high ISO performance. It also has an intervelometer for timed shots (1 shot every 5 seconds for 5 minutes or whatever you want).

The functions are nearly identical control wise so there won't be much to get used to. As far as the manual focus during video goes, it's not a real big deal but does take some practice. As far as how difficult it is, that depends on the subject matter - sports will be more difficult than a still scene or one that doesn't change depth.

The D90 has some advantages, but only if you use them... That said, the D5000 has a lot of neat features the D90 lacks that are actually quite helpful.

If you have any specific questions I've owned all 3 and would be happy to help you further.

I'm liking the sound of the intervelometer!

For what I intend to film the most is sport called 'tricking'.

This video was filmed with the canon 7d, which is way out of my price range, he seems to handle the focus fairly well.
I'm sure like you said, it will take practice to get used to :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it's a good camera. I've got one that will be here next monday! My first real camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back