Should I get an extension tube?

Vic Vinegar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't have money for a marco lens, so I was thinking of getting an extension tube for my 40D. I'd like to take pictures of my garden out back this spring and I thought that if I put an extension tube on my 50mm lens then I'd be able to do it. I like to take high aperture shots because I like how they look and I think taking some high aperture shots in the garden would look amazing. I was thinking of getting these Kenko ones I saw online because they seem well constructed.

But this is my first time getting into that so does anybody have some advice for me? Does anybody have some example photos that were taken this way that I could look at?

I don't have any examples handy, but I have a set of Kenko tubes which are well made and have full electrical connectivity with the lens. DO NOT fall for those $19.85 sets you see on eBay and other places. There's a reason good ones cost what they do. Extension tubes are an excellent way to get into macro work.

I don't have any examples handy, but I have a set of Kenko tubes which are well made and have full electrical connectivity with the lens. DO NOT fall for those $19.85 sets you see on eBay and other places. There's a reason good ones cost what they do. Extension tubes are an excellent way to get into macro work.

Thanks for the help. I think the $100-ish Kenko ones are what I want. So what problems do you think I would run into using these or just with macro photography in general? I just got into photography a few months ago.

Thanks for the help. I think the $100-ish Kenko ones are what I want. So what problems do you think I would run into using these or just with macro photography in general? I just got into photography a few months ago.
No "problems", but there is a learning curve; the depth of field (DoF), or the amount of the scene that is in sharp focus can be as little as 1mm or less, and exposures can be challenging as you're often working with small apertures.

No "problems", but there is a learning curve; the depth of field (DoF), or the amount of the scene that is in sharp focus can be as little as 1mm or less, and exposures can be challenging as you're often working with small apertures.

So then I'm assuming that if I use maybe 2 mounts instead of 3 then DOF would be higher?

Kenko AF tubes preserve FULL lens aperture control, metering, and autofocusing, and they are reliable. My set is over 10 years old. I bought the set used in 2001, and they still work great! Extension tubes will work okay with a 50mm lens. A 50mm lens is relatively short in focal length, so it doesn't provide a really high native magnification, and adding the extension tubes allows the lens to focus closer and closer, the more the extension is increased. A longer lens focal length would give higher magnification at longer lens-to-subject distances. That is the biggest issue with using extension tubes with a shortish lens like a 50mm; the lens-to-subject distance is quite short, and at some point, the front of the lens and the subject are both VERY close to one another, which may or may not be an issue. With live subjects, like say bees or spiders, the camera and lens and human operator might be so close as to spook off the quarry. At other times, your own camera and lens and or your body, might cast a shadow on the subject if using natural lighting.

Kenko AF tubes preserve FULL lens aperture control, metering, and autofocusing, and they are reliable. My set is over 10 years old. I bought the set used in 2001, and they still work great! Extension tubes will work okay with a 50mm lens. A 50mm lens is relatively short in focal length, so it doesn't provide a really high native magnification, and adding the extension tubes allows the lens to focus closer and closer, the more the extension is increased. A longer lens focal length would give higher magnification at longer lens-to-subject distances. That is the biggest issue with using extension tubes with a shortish lens like a 50mm; the lens-to-subject distance is quite short, and at some point, the front of the lens and the subject are both VERY close to one another, which may or may not be an issue. With live subjects, like say bees or spiders, the camera and lens and human operator might be so close as to spook off the quarry. At other times, your own camera and lens and or your body, might cast a shadow on the subject if using natural lighting.

Thanks. I also have a 28-105mm lens. You think that would be better?

Last edited:
there is a learning curve; the depth of field (DoF), or the amount of the scene that is in sharp focus can be as little as 1mm or less

Yes, I am just learning Macro myself and just purchased a set of Kenko's. I like them they do work well, but the DOF is a bit of a shock at first. Once you get used to it you'll be fine. I have used my 50, 85 and 24-105 on the set as well and find they all work well.

Thanks for responding but I forgot to close this thread. I got the Kenko ones and I've been using them. They're good quality!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back