Should i get one?

Yes they here Fate. I love my LB2 ! For the price, it's a great deal and has great glass. Awesome for portraits and blurring terrible backgrounds. You'll love it, believe me. Go for it !

Unless you want to make it's look "your style", I would only get it if you are happy with the glass you have now. If all you have is the basic kit zoom, I think a prime like a 50mm/f1.8 would be a more useful choice, both as a lens you would use more often and one that would help a zoom user learn photography faster. I consider the LB a more advanced tool to use well, otherwise you just end up with pictures that have "a look" and a funky blur. That said, it is a fun and interesting lens to get to know.

You don't often see photos that are as thoroughly thought through with LB and fisheye lenses - the effect on the image is usually so dramatic that elements like composition are completely forgotten. I did see a great picture by Wally using a LB, and there have been some cool effect shots in Darkside, but I personally think they are a touch expensive, considering that you could achieve a similar effect using PS to make the same point (albeit not faithfully, but the blur stuff is really good on CS2).

Just my opinion - but I don't own one and I'm probably jealous!! :)

Rob

I would agree with Mark on the point that you should be happy with the lenses you currently have for "normal" shooting. If you are, and you already know you love the look that the LB produces, then by all means - go for it! :) They are fun to use, and of excellent quality.

I do like the added element of thought that accompanies using such a lens, too. They force you to really study your composition as you select your "sweet spot", which is hand in glove with considering what you want your subject to portray. Lotsa fun. :thumbup:

Me, I love my lensbaby. I find I take and see different pictures with it mounted on my camera, photos/compositions etc that I wouldnt "usually" take.

Oh, and theyre so much fun, I couldnt even begin to tell you.

The thing to remember is that the shallow DOF really isn't any different than what you get from any lens with a wide aperture. The difference comes from the ability to shift and tilt the front element, mainly tilt. This lets you tilt the focal plane. Instead of the in-focus area being parallel to the front of the camera, it follows the front of the lens. Tilt the lens down and things will be in focus close at the bottom and further away up top. It's another compositional element to add to the mix.

I just bought one on the weekend. I actually knew about them a year ago but basically forgot about them until I visited this site and saw the ad!

Tony said:
I just bought one on the weekend. I actually knew about them a year ago but basically forgot about them until I visited this site and saw the ad!
How are you liking it so far, Tony? Post some of your results when you can!

Welcome to the forum, btw. :)

terri said:
How are you liking it so far, Tony? Post some of your results when you can!

Welcome to the forum, btw. :)

oops, forgot about this thread! I'll try to get something up soon. I like it, but I haven't used it enough yet. It's kinda difficult and I need more practice.

By all means, get one of these jobbies, they force you to consider all aspects of composition, should you choose to, prior to firing away; the LB is like vintage Frank Zappa: impressionistic and irreverantly deconstructive.

I love my lens baby, best present I ever bought myself. $200 of fun. When I get bored I just pull it out and shoot. I have taking some amazing photos. I like my 50m 1.8f, but the lense baby is like riding a rollercoaster.WOOOOOAAAAHHH.

I just got the lensbaby g3 and must say i am love playing with it, still getting used to the lens, its a LOT different than I am used too.. But just for some kicks, here's one of the pic's that I took with it.
candle1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back